Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 05 f250 and was from wisconsin now in so cal on camp pendleton i have rust bubbles and surface rust on the rear wheele well. and the paint is bubbling. i need some advice on what i should do to fix it. i have taken it to a body shop and they said in orter to fix it they would have to repaint the whole side of the bed costing$$$ my question is is that truly they only way? i have been givin the idea of sanding it down just on the flat part of the doby primer paint then a rubberized paint or rustolium paint then put fender flares on so it doesnt look stupid with black wheele wells. just looking for and advice or help anyone can give me here are some pics of the rust sorry the pics are not the greatest because i took them on my phone. the bubbles loook worse in person than do on the pics.

·
WOOOOO!!!!!
1,655 Posts
pics don't work...

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
I would def do the fix your thinking of just get all the rust nutralized and slap some OEM flares or better on it

·
Registered
608 Posts
Let a shop fix it. There is foam in there that holds water unless that gets pulled out you will keep fixing it. It's rusting all along that opening or will.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
My 07 had around 2-3 bubbles per side i had new oem panels put on... wasnt worth it... i have oem flares now i wish i would have just put them on and not worried about it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think that is what i will do oem flares every junk yard i stop at all the fx4 they are already sold! and dealer wants 200$ per flare almost for oem i have no idea where i can get them for a good decent price i dont care about paint matching black is fine with me. but what i will do is sand it down and coat it so it cant come back but it will look stupid without flares covering up the paint. any one know where i cand find decent price? oem or other manufactuare for flares
thanks for they replies

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let a shop fix it. There is foam in there that holds water unless that gets pulled out you will keep fixing it. It's rusting all along that opening or will.
a foam in where? i do not have flares at the moent i will be sanding it down to the care metal then prime n rubeizd paint then flares over it.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I found mine on here but i was looking for almost 2 years to find them. Check ebay every now and than you might get lucky..

·
Registered
277 Posts
a foam in where? i do not have flares at the moent i will be sanding it down to the care metal then prime n rubeizd paint then flares over it.
On the inside of the wheel well, there is a seam they seal with foam. The rust is coming from the inside out. Eventually it will come right thru. Flares will only mask it. It needs to be cut out or a new bed side needs to be put in. (or new bed even...that's what I ended up doing).

It's a common problem for that area to rust through.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
the same thing happen to me and i got it fixed and guess what? its doing it agan! i got a new bed to fix this whole problem!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damn... this turns out to be a bigger problem than i thought than just a little rust lol.. i found a bed on craigslist but its a 98 looks to be same paint but will body lines flow and everything? or bolt up

·
Registered
277 Posts
Only beds from 1999-2010 will line up. Be patient in your search. I found one and paid $450. Sold my rusted out one for $850.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh wow thanks for the usefull info. well i hate staring at it so i came up with a simple solution for now untill i come across a new to me bed or the $$ i ordered these (not my truck in the pic) and am going to sand them down adn paint them gloss black. what what you think ? flatt? or maybe duplicolor paint match?

·
No 6.0
625 Posts
Those rust bubbles are coming from the back... You need a new bedside. If the rest of your bed is in good shape, then get the bedside replaced with an aftermarket panel that is primered on both sides and no foam. I was lucky enough to find a bed that had both bedsides already replaced like this...

·
There can be only one
417 Posts
I just paid my shop $900 to get the wheel well rust removed and sealed on my '02. I'm now planning on taking it back to the shopt to fix the rocker panels and door bottoms as I'm not having this thing rust out on me as I'm planning on keeping this thing till my kids are out of college. I don't even have kids right now either....

Shops the only way to do it unless you're a body man. It's a lot of work and experience to get it right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts