Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does it seem like body lifts are not a popular method for lifting trucks anymore??

Any opinions?

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
I think with the newer trucks it is just to much of a pain to install with all the stuff that needs to be relocated.Its just easier or cheaper to install a susension lift.I do plan to install a body lift on my superduty here sometime.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
They may be ghetto but when I have to work on my turbo or uppipes or trans or exhaust or well anything under the truck or in the engine bay it's nice and easy. Also it gave me an extra 4" of room due to new ES body mounts with the lift to tuck my e-fuel filters and pump up out of the way. I also get to keep mu center of gravity lower while still being able to stuff bigger meats under the fenders.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
99 or newer its kind of a joke. Body lifts were great for trucks with chitty suspensions(the 90s trucks with a bowtie on the front) that cost thousands of dollars to lift 4". You can buy huuuge susp lifts for the SD's so why would you want a cheap box of hockey pucks? I used a bl on one truck ever and it was stupid. If I had an obs truck Id consider it but not on a 99-up.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
they are ghetto
I think they are ghetto on certain years and makes of trucks.s10's,chevy fullsizes,obs fords,80's fords,70's fords they look real crappy because they show almost the whole frame with a body lift.97 up f150's,some dodges,99 up superdutys they look good because the body comes down on the frame low enough so when you do a body lift they still look fine and only show a little frame.custom made gap gaurds cover up any frame showing in the wheel wells so they look fine to me.The superdutys by far look the best to me with a body lift just because the body comes down so far on the frame.The one thing I also hate is when people do a body lift and leave the exhaust haning way donw from the body.I absolutely hate that.Done right on certain trucks they look great and on the supers they leave so much room to do any engine work.I bet they would be real nice with a 6leaker as well.Those are a pain to work on in the cramped space.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts

Can't really tell besides he didn't cover the gap in the bed wheel well.I actually like the hitch more as well.Cats friend,can't remember his name.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
again,can't tell besides he didn't cover the gap.Frame not showing and looks good.Jacks truck

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
I have a 2in body lift on my puller, it was well worth it. everything is sooooooo much easier to work on now

·
Registered
257 Posts
where can u get a body lift for the SD's and would u recommend one more then others. starting to like the hole havin more room to work idea

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Performance Accessories manufactures them. You can get them from many different places. summit racing carries them for sure. The issue is that they claim they don't fit diesels. Why I don't know because I had no problem fitting mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chappy, Nice photos!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Can you give a run down on what all had to be modded lengthened etc to fit your body lift? I can not see how what engine you have would effect a body lift. The body still mounts to the frame the same don't they?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The only modifications that had to be done were-1. The fan shroud had to be taken out ahd I cut the lip off that the fan sits inside from half way down the shroud to the bottom of the lip so the fan would fit past it. This really wasn't necessary as the kit comes with brackets to relocate the shroud lower but ai wanted it to stay even with the top of the radiator. 2. I had to take the 4wd shifter out(manual shifter) and heat it and bend it to the driverside about 3/4-1" and reinstall. The kit comes with the steering extension which takes all of 5 minutes to install. Oops, make it three mods. You also have to drill out the center threaded portion of the radiator support lower cups in order for the 1/2" bolts to pass through. The rest of the kit is bolt in.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Can you give a run down on what all had to be modded lengthened etc to fit your body lift? I can not see how what engine you have would effect a body lift. The body still mounts to the frame the same don't they?
Liability? Diesels produce more torque and potentially more frame/body flexing which would be an issue if you lift the body off the frame. I know the common sense of the day used to be bodylifts were for showtrucks and suspension was for actual use. I have seen truck beds deformed from normal use on bl trucks. Ive had 2 trucks with bl and didnt like either one! Personal preference I suppose.

·
Word
608 Posts
Body lifts are good for certain situations, but the problem with them is they stretch every wiring harness and linkage component that's connected to or associated with the body or frame...it put's alot of strain on things....I've personally seen wiring pulled out of the back side of connectors and harness chafing issues due to 4" body lifts...

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Body lifts are good for certain situations, but the problem with them is they stretch every wiring harness and linkage component that's connected to or associated with the body or frame...it put's alot of strain on things....I've personally seen wiring pulled out of the back side of connectors and harness chafing issues due to 4" body lifts...
Ive never seen a 4" bl. Last time I bothered to look at them they only came in 2or 3" sizes. I dont know why they offered the 2 because everyone always used the 3. I agree with them stretching harnesses. Some of the 'premium' kits would give you extension pieces but overall were still sub-par crap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have a bl and no issues at all. in fact it is way way easier to work on my turbo,injectors,ect. but i do agree that some trucks look crappy with them

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts

Can't really tell besides he didn't cover the gap in the bed wheel well.I actually like the hitch more as well.Cats friend,can't remember his name.
Isnt this the hallas performance truck that was in DPC a few years back...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts