Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 f350 7.3l. I'm getting lots of blue smoke out of my exhaust mostly as I'm driving down the road. I have noticed that there is some pooling of oil in my exhaust. Could this be turbo seals or injector seals Truck has 190,000 miles. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
136 Posts
Could be either one. Could also be rings but you would notice other issues associated with a ring issue. Turbo rebuild kits can be had on flea-bay for cheap, so can injector o-rings. I'd start with those 2 items and see if that fixes it. There are plenty of documentation on both jobs too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pop the oil fill cap off and flip it upside down on the fill port while the truck is running. If it just sits there and vibrates the rings are good, but if it gets blown off you have bigger problems (like an engine rebuild). I would loosen each of the uppipes and inspect for oil in each manifold just to make sure that the oil isn't coming from the cylinders/injectors. Look at dieselorings.com for your orings as Ebay can be hit or miss (lots of folks on PSN recommend diesel orings). If it is the turbo... get a rebuild kit that has a 360* thrust bearing (you might as well upgrade the bearing while you're in there).

Cj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked blow by and the oil cap did not blow off only vibrated very little. I looked in my fuel bowl and it was dark colored. I suspect it is injector orings.

·
Registered
556 Posts
That is good... scratch bad piston rings off the list. I would not expect to see oil pooling in the exhaust if it is going through the injectors via the fuel... You should burn it with just a haze. Unless one or more of the injectors has come lose and you're also pushing both oil and fuel past the copper oring at the bottom of the injector. Sounds like you have a new path to explore first. Pull the injectors and have a close look at the copper seals (to make sure they get removed from the bottoms of the cups) as well as the orings. When you reinstall the injectors take a ruler and hold it over the tops to make sure they are all evenly seated. If one injector is higher you may still have an extra copper gasket where you don't want one. Several posters have mentioned thoroughly cleaning out the holes that the injector clamp bolts go in to avoid getting a false torque spec due to oil hydraulically "tightening" the bolt prematurely.

Cj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts