Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02, F-450, for awhile it had smoked blue, white smoke until it warmed up, I mean as soon as the temp gauge moved it would quit smoking and run fine. However the last two days it doesn't want to come out of its funk.. It starts fine an idles good, but no high idle, that hasn't worked in some time.. It fights to get over 2000 rpm has no power and is sucking down fuel. It went from 13 to 5 mpg. It's my service truck and weighs 12,800. Any ideas? Seems to be getting plenty of fuel, it just reakz of diesel out the exhaust when idling cold. I don't hear my turbo spool up either. I'm thinking my exhaust back pressure slave is stuck, not sure though. Would appreciate some help!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Excessive Oil Consumption (Blue, Gray, or White Exhaust Smoke)

Incorrect type or grade of oil.

DRAIN and FILL with specified oil.

Extended oil change intervals.

CHANGE oil as recommended.

Clogged air cleaner element or restriction upstream of compressor.

REPAIR as required.

Engine wear (piston rings, valve guides).

REPAIR as required.

Turbocharger oil seals leaking.

REFER to Turbocharger Internal Oil Leak Test in this section.

Injector or injector O-ring leaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, gives me a good place to start.. I bought this truck at an auction about 18 months ago, cheap, because it was cold and smoking. I've never really understood what was causing these cold run issues, but like I said as soon as the temp Guage would move it would quit smoking and run Prefect. And summer days where the low stays at 60 degrees, no trouble at all.. Thanks again..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Possible FICM trouble?

Have you tried plugging into a tuner and check if the truck is throwing any codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I haven't, I don't have a scanner, this is my third powerstroke and I've never had any issues where I needed one. I drove the other ones to 250,000 miles each all stock, I've never had any trouble till this one, I operate heavy equipment and generally being around diesels as long as I have been I can diagnose what's going on, but this has something to do with cold weather, nothing mechanical would just go away everytime the truck warms up. I should find a scanner I guess, it very well might tell me what's up!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Check the fuel filter for signs of oil, which would indicate an injector o-ring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turned out my main problem was a plugged cat, blew the donut gaskets to the turbo adapter, found my plenum leaking oil, changed glow plugs, oil change, fuel filter replaced, new air filter, cut out the cat and it's running good again. Smoked some blue only when cold, but it's always done that.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thanks for the update, its always good to see what the solution was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still have the original blue smoke when cold, as soon as the heat Guage moved it clears up. I mistakenly thought that my other troubles were from the same source, but having a plugged cat is what caused the power lose and poor fuel mileage. I fixed the gaskets on the turbo adapter and it ran worse, seriously had a WTF moment! I bypassed the intercooler to make sure I didn't leave a tag in it. Then I started looking at exhaust.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I am glad I don't have a kitty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts