Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Got fuel??
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Conway here. I'm a new member here but have been lurking here and on other sites for about the past 6 months. I am interested in learning all about what it takes to make a high HP 7.3 live. At some point I intend to build one of my own.

Now, after a ton of reading I noticed there was quite a rash of blown motors a while back. I've read a lot about when a girdle becomes necessary, the use of fire rings, headstuds etc.

What about the combination of injectors and who's chip (tuning?) were you using at the time. It seems to me this could be a major contributing factor.

So. If you have blown a motor (or know someone who has)...what combination of fuel and tuning (chip) were you running when your motor gave you the finger?

I'm thinking lets talk diesel fuel only.....but we can talk "drugs" too I guess.

Thanks for your input guys!

oh yeah almost forgot......PSN RULES!!

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
I was running a DP tuned PCM 80 econo..............And INTL/Ford injectors

That with the combo of a few 4000 RPM burnouts sent a con rod out the side

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Stock squirters dude........Like I said an 80 econo setting........Plus some hi revs = SOL

Blowing a motor is not so much what it has for tuning and injectors........In plays a roll, buts its more so how you drive it..........You could throw twins and huge B codes on PMRs, as long as you keep it at like 1300 RPM it wont blow up..........But thats no fun :D

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
well he said he was in 80e on an otherwise stockish motor so he probably wasnt pushin it that hard

·
Got fuel??
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cool. Thought I read where you had bigger injectors.(my bad). Man that sux.

·
Got fuel??
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I met him the other day over the phone. Talked for a while about transmissions. He seemed like a good dude. I work over off of hwy 6...so his shop isnt too far from me. Might have to pick his brain.

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
It seems like most of the blown engines lately have been a result of PMRs, rather than injectors and tuning.

·
Got fuel??
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah yes PMRs. I hear ya on that.....but what cause them to be compromised? Too much fuel? timing? or radical tuning?....or other?

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
You could say they are x or y injectors but who really made them?

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Stock squirters dude........Like I said an 80 econo setting........Plus some hi revs = SOL

Blowing a motor is not so much what it has for tuning and injectors........In plays a roll, buts its more so how you drive it..........You could throw twins and huge B codes on PMRs, as long as you keep it at like 1300 RPM it wont blow up..........But thats no fun :D
IDK about that. Mine let go beacuse of too much tq applied without the right supporting mods.
Beans injectors,DP tuning, big oil, big turbo, nitrous too many times on a stock bottom end.
I believe also that the rpm's are a factor, but not that way. If I could have the same tq level I was at, at 1,000 rpm higher than it was at, I dont believe it would have let go as easy. But, because I had to make all my power between idle and 3,000 rpm, it had to make a buttload of tq down low---hence the nitrous --- to make good hp. Buncha tq at a low rpm= broke stuff. As far as his broke on stock injectors--anything can break. Probly NOT because of the 4,000 rpm burnouts though. I had turned mine past 4500 many times. Got video to prove it, but it made exactly NO HP at that rpm.
PMR maybe?

·
A Ghost these days.
1,017 Posts
There are a ton of factors as to why stuff lets go. Maintenance, abuse, mods and the list gos on.

I got mine to popped after laying down 412 HP and 800+ in trk. I was 60 miles from the dyno when she popped. Who know what I was putting down. I went from 5 PSI boost cruising on the HW to 15PSI. :eek:.

I had a TN drop-in, BO, 530s and a DP chip. I was told Up front that I was running at risk.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Mine was from abuse............I admit it, a big ol diesel stock, isnt ment for 4000RPM ..............Oh well, now I get a nice built expsensive motor to beat on...........

If it breaks............

Cummins :D

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I was running DI stage IV injectors with lottsha boooshty and lottsha nosh oh my award winning tuning.
I even got an award somewhere around here for best blowup of the century:eek:

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
The mop and bucket award.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts