Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
new mod, Blown engine...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck, 2002 F350 CC SB 7.3L 68K miles, 3.5" to 6" aussies, intake, customs tunes(High power EF, Torque Tow, Tow Power). from Virginia to Dallas, TX i was hauling around 8.5K in my 24FT enclosed car trailer. total trip 1450 miles. every 2 hours i would pull over to check tires on trailer and truck, fluids and so forth. 600 miles in and about an hour since the last check i pulled off the highway and when i got to a stop... KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK... sounded like a bottom end bearing. I had to make it to Texas so i pulled into the walmart and changed my oil(which was about .5 qts low) and substituted 1Gal. of diesel oil for LUCAS oil additive. knock was still there and didnt get any quieter, made the execuative decision to drive it till it quit... well it never QUIT! :eek: Made it over 900 miles! it was blowing oil out of the oil pan gasket, it seems to have pressure in the oil pan, so i am sure i have melted/cracked a/a few pistons. but damned am i proud of that truck! Had i not been starting my new job on monday i would have not pushed it, but i trully had no other options. now what would you suggest i do? I have about 3,500 dollars in the trucks savings... any suggestions on which internals to buy, or go with a short block. I plan on getting some forged(factory forged rods form diesel innovations) and some Mahle pistons, new bearings and calling it a day. input please...?

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
I have a short block with forged rods. check it out in classifieds

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
If your in texas you might as well give David at DI a call and see what he can do.

·
new mod, Blown engine...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on calling him first thing tomorrow morning, just want to get some external input.

·
new mod, Blown engine...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any input??

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
If your going for some power add a set of rods. if your not planning on adding more power, Then I would rebuilt it, do some head work, 38r and mini me's. good for around 450-500 and a blast to drive on the street. David will take care of you.

·
new mod, Blown engine...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
contemplating a Cummins swap? ...very lightly! just started thinking about it. will research it and price it out.

Lildevil that sounds like what i was planning, just get it back on the road and with a lil more power. how much you figure all the parts would run roughly?

·
Davey B
930 Posts
contemplating a Cummins swap?
All depends on what your goals for the truck are. Cummins swap isnt very cheap unless you get a hell of a deal on the motor. Id see what let go in your motor first and go from there

·
new mod, Blown engine...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup, just did about 5 minutes of research... not doing a swap haha, that is way to much. I will just do a mild build and have fun with the 7.3.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
Stay with a 7.3. Yours is a beast! My truck broke an injector hold down bolt doing 70 on the highway and I didnt even bend anything in my motor! No idea how it managed to stay together especially those PMRs but it did. Some of these trucks are just better then we thought. FYI that was with the Stage II injectors I use to run also.

·
new mod, Blown engine...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stay with a 7.3. Yours is a beast! My truck broke an injector hold down bolt doing 70 on the highway and I didn't even bend anything in my motor! No idea how it managed to stay together especially those PMRs but it did. Some of these trucks are just better then we thought. FYI that was with the Stage II injectors I use to run also.
thanks, Although i am impressed with the ability of this motor, I am disappointed at the same time:doh: I would have never imagined engine failure at 68K regardless of the weight i was towing. I was running a Tow tune and still... but thats my luck:( once i get the rebuild done, ill have to take it easy... :evil:pullover:

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts
My original motor cracked at the mains #2 & 4 at only 88k on it.

·
new mod, Blown engine...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where did it crack, are you saying the main bearing caps cracked?

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts
Yes, and this was a forged rod 01 motor.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
That sucks...

Black & Gold, Dont take it easy on it when its rebuilt. Build it so you dont have to take it take it easy. Forged rods cryod with some hybrids and the right tunes should be very reliable. Make sure you girdle the block to that way it does not crack.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Pull the valve covers and make sure you don't just have a bent pushrod or broken rocker arm.

Dave

·
new mod, Blown engine...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pull the valve covers and make sure you don't just have a bent pushrod or broken rocker arm.

Dave
did that, im not that lucky:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts