Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out from the mechanic that cylinder 6 is running about 140 compression.. He says its most likely not a valve or a bearing but is going to do some more tests to confirm

Here's some background
It has 88k miles on it and only has an intake, a 6 stage chip, boost fooler, and some gauges. Never ran it over the temps it should have been. Was pulling a boat and camper when all power was lost but dropped the boat off and made it home. Thought it was an injector at the time.

What would you all do? The mechanic is telling me about 7k for a reman motor installed. Need some opinions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Located in Tucson, Az

Not too many reputable diesel shops around here. Everyone i talk to tells me this is the guy to go to. Another shop i took it to told me it was a injector... Apparently he never checked compression.

·
Rock Steady
959 Posts
This is the place to find out who is reputable. Just give it a little time someone will be along to help out.:psn:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've been looking around on this forum for quite some time now sporadically just figured its time to post up and do some more research before making this decision.

:bowfast:

·
Registered
105 Posts
that sounds exactley what happened to me and it was the UVCH (under valve cover harness) that came un clipped...mine has 94k. I fixed it myself, pretty easy, but time consuming.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You have several options just dont jump the gun on throwin in a reman. Maybe take it to another shop for a second input on what it is. Once you get it 100% figured out then you can start looking at the options you have.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
574 Posts
def check the UNDER VALVE COVER HARNESS first!
I just had to do this on my 02 with 164K miles
The labor is a PITA, sort of, but def cheap in terms of price(UVCH and wire connector) $100 a side) vs $1000 for Ford to take it apart.
If you do need new injectors, try a set of Hybrids or stage 1's
I have Swamps single stage 1's and love them!

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
UVCH shouldn't cause low compression. An injector problem could however if it were leaking compression past the crush washer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts