Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the truck and it came with alpine SPR-17S components in the front doors but the driver side is dead no white noise nothing the one on the passemger side sounds good just being pushed from the x-930bt head unit I was wondering if I should just go with those again or if a full 6.5" speaker would sound better since they're not amplified? Any advice would be great Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just bought the truck and it came with alpine SPR-17S components in the front doors but the driver side is dead no white noise nothing the one on the passemger side sounds good just being pushed from the x-930bt head unit I was wondering if I should just go with those again or if a full 6.5" speaker would sound better since they're not amplified? Any advice would be great Thanks!
I would pull the door panel and locate the crossover to verify wiring / connection first and make sure the speakers are indeed blown.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked all the connections and everything looks good

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Have you tried swapping the passenger side crossover to the drivers side and see if the problem follows the crossover?

Where is the crossover mounted? if in the door it is somewhat common for crossovers to fail due to repeated slamming of the door and general vibrations, solder joints crack n such.

If you push in on the cone of the speaker itself does it feel smooth during its motion or sort of ridged with a click n crunch feel? If smooth the speaker should be fine, but also worth a shot to check for brown or black around the coil if its burn out. If it were though I would imagine you would still get high's from the tweeters.

It would probably cost just as much to buy a new crossover as it would a set of coaxials and then you would have a more valuable and better sounding set vs the coaxials. If your power off the HU and REALLY pushing it like with heavy EQing and loudness with bass boost and just cranking all the settings and then turning the volume up to 100% and rocking out it wouldn't take much to clip the internal amp inside the headunit and although it is only putting out maybe 22w RMS it could still kill the speakers with a clipped signal, although somewhat rare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts