Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I really need some help with this truck. It's a utility body 6.4 we bought for our concrete business. This truck is how my family eats and pay the bills so it needs to run. We bought the truck a few months ago and after about a month of driving it the motor randomly blew up started knocking and had no compression. Later we found piston rings in the bottom of the oil pan. Anyway we bought a 70k mile used motor and payed a mechanic to put it in $9500 later the mechanic is saying the truck has no power and the intercooler piping is caked with oil. We haven't picked the truck up from him yet. It has egr plates and no coolers but the calm dpf is still there which I plan on getting rid of. I just dont know what to do now and the "mechanic" seems a little uh well maybe he's not the best mechanic but its who my stepdad got to do the job so. Idk what to do. I can't keep blowing money on this truck but I need it and I'm too far into it to back out now. Please give me advice where to start to diagnose this

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you payed $9500 to have someone put a used engine in, you got hosed. There will be a film of oil in the intercooler piping. I think I would get a second opinion. Depending how the first engine blew, you could have a plugged DPF. Has happened to me. Could also be some other issue. Any codes?

·
Registered
131 Posts
trade it for a 7.3. reliability is what you need and a 7.3 has that.

AMEN!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
trade it for a 7.3. reliability is what you need and a 7.3 has that.
Do you really think pouring salt in this poor guys wound is going to help anything or was that just a pitiful attempt at humor?

My advice is tow the truck to a reputable diesel shop and have a professional take a look at it. Could be something as simple as a broken or unplugged connector or sensor. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Get a 7.3 if you want to go slow

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Call mike he can help (214) 451-8209

·
Registered
955 Posts
If the CCV was stock, you will have some oil in the bottom of the IC and hot side pipe. Remember the CCV gasses pass through baffle at the oil fill, but anything that isn't filtered out by the baffle gets sucked through the turbos and hot side pipe and accumulates there. If the CCV pressure is excessive (from a cracked piston or something similar) then more of the oil gets sucked in there. Have you checked the compression manually? I do think you would be in better shape to get it towed to someone who knows what they are doing, but if family matters won't permit that, check your compression. I believe if the oil feed tubes on the turbos are not correct or a turbo is leaking oil, that could result in oil in the IC so that would be my next thing to check after compression. Healthy compression would be about 380 PSI IIRC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we just drove to the mechanics shop and picked the truck up and now it seems fine, 100% normal so idk if maybe when the old motor blew and shot oil thru the turbos or what i mean we did find piston rings in the oil pan of the motor that blew up (only had 118k miles). anyway it seems to run fine now after it sort of worked itself out i guess. Thanks for the replies and help, this thing has been a nightmare with the egr acting up and the motor going. we plan on doing the dpf delete tuesday but keeping the cat and muffler original. I did notice that one one of the turbos it didnt look like it was slid in all the way....what do yall think

·
Registered
932 Posts
That turbo crossover bracket is mounted to 4 valve cover bolts/studs. check and make sure that they are all tight and in place. those are the black brackets that have tha aluminum horseshoe looking tube and the fuel cooler and reservoir mounted to it. it is also possible that the mounting bolts are all tight but someone who didnt know what they are doing split the low pressure turbo in two halfs during removal and didnt get it clocked correctly when re-asembling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts