Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking I just blew my turbo on a hard pull. Loud pop (at first I thought I had a blown boot but checked them and their good) there is a tone of black smoke from exhaust and now what sounds like grinding under the hood. Truck starts good. Never had a chance to inspect it yet cause it happend on the way to work. Are these BB turbos rebuildable? Is it worth buying another 38r or should i step up to something else? Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
They are not rebuildable, if you did toast it I would recommend a t4 mount and a s366

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Easiest is to pull intake spin the turbo check for play etc.
the cartrige for a bb 38 is alost asmuch as a new one.

Although it should have been a good fit for stage one sticks.
Did you boost it over 40...did it get proper shut down and oil feeds..

Did a glow plug tip fly through the back end etc..

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
IIRC the biggest destroyer of the 38R if over boost. There are plenty of guys w/ 100+k miles w/ no issues.

It sucks it blew but any turbo will need to be kept in it's boost range.

If your tight on money there are some journal bearing options you might check out. IMHO, properly gate any turbo, to include the 38R, if you're needing more airflow and you have the $$, get a t4 mount and do a GTX4294.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a peak this morning. Definately bearings went. Never could get more than 32psi out of this turbo. But I had approx 100k miles on it. Think I'm gonna go back to a38r. Gonna make some calls on Monday. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Throw the 38r compressor housing, wheel, back plate and exhaust housing on a stock turbo with a 360 bearing kit. Instant rebuildable journal bearing 66mm turbo.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Interesting...so basically add center cartridge and boltup.
be worth a try. Would only be a couple hundred.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Interesting...so basically add center cartridge and boltup.
be worth a try. Would only be a couple hundred.
The question I ask is does it performe the same as the 38R?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Close..probably same wheel but slightly more friction

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just doesnt spool quite as fast. Though I think that a billet wheel would bring it up to par with a stock 38r.
I have no complaints with mine and im still running the stock wheel.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow, first one I've heard of that went out. I've got about 200,000 on my 38r...180,000 of those are with 238/80 Injectors also.

·
POWER Junkie
347 Posts
Wow, first one I've heard of that went out. I've got about 200,000 on my 38r...180,000 of those are with 238/80 Injectors also.
The 38r not being rebuildable is a tired discussion IMO. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything of similar size.

·
International Diesel Tech
199 Posts
I love my 38r compared to the d66. I dont see how any other turbo could be much better driveabilety wise. that would be neat though uf you could transfer the center sections!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yup I hear only good things about the 38r. I honestly hated my D66. It was smokey, laggy and hot as hell. If I had a DD SD I would have a 38R.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love my 38r compared to the d66. I dont see how any other turbo could be much better driveabilety wise. that would be neat though uf you could transfer the center sections!
I thought the D66 and 38R would be very comparable. What would you say the difference was? Same tuning? Same trucks?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered a new ww2 and 38r from diesel site. They got a great deal on the 38r if anyone is looking.

·
POWER Junkie
347 Posts
Ordered a new ww2 and 38r from diesel site. They got a great deal on the 38r if anyone is looking.
You won't be disappointed.
That's where I got my turbo and wheel BTW. Great vendor to deal with!

·
International Diesel Tech
199 Posts
I thought the D66 and 38R would be very comparable. What would you say the difference was? Same tuning? Same trucks?
Id say the big diffrence is the 1.0 hosuing and ball bearings. The d66 was laggy and had no low end power. The 38r has a ported housing too. only negative it the low boost whine.

·
Caption This
4,259 Posts
Had a peak this morning. Definately bearings went. Never could get more than 32psi out of this turbo. But I had approx 100k miles on it. Think I'm gonna go back to a38r. Gonna make some calls on Monday. Thanks.
How much for your old turbo?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.