Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew the fittings where the metal line connects to feed the heads right out of the pump, threads and all. Not once but twice now, im running a stock hpop with a gen3 stacked on top. i hit 3500 psi no problem sometimes higher. any ideas to keep these things from blowing??? im thinking maybe in the tuning that its letting the hpo go so high

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
How tight are you putting the fittings in? They are o-ring fittings, going into aluminum, they don't have to be super tight, just snug.

The fact that you've blown 2 in a week kinda makes me think you're going too far tightening them down.

Dave

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Joey how do you make the O-ring seal again when you helicoil it. I assume that damages the tapered seat for the O-ring.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I have done many. The key is to make sure the heli-coil is below the tapered seat. I have actually seen a few Remans from Ford with heli-coils as well. I have good luck doing them. But it's very important to get them 100% straight. I have a jig made to hold the pumps square with the tap. If they are not straight, they will not seal. :(

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
You are overtightening them.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Since everyone's definiation of "snug" is different - lets apply an actual torque value to the fitting: http://www.surpluscenter.com/techhelp/SAE.pdf

I haven't actually torqued any of these fittings, but I don't strip the threads or have leaks. The recommended 40 ft-lbs in that document to me seams a little high - I would have thought it should be something in the area of 25-30 ft-lbs similar to what is shown in this document: http://www.tompkinsind.com/adapter_univ/steel_saeoring_adapters.asp

In any case - since your having problems its time to actually measure what your doing. Another problem area is if your running a JIC fitting in the pump and you made the pump fitting "snug" but then cranked down the mating fitting on the line without holding the fitting in the pump from rotating.

·
Wheelie Dude
2,126 Posts
Even w/o overtightening the fitting you can blow the threads out. The pump housing material is almost a potmetal, very soft and the pressure can just blow the threads right out. This is why the this probelm is being addressed on the new drop in Stealth Pumps.

I have heli-coiled pumps in the past with good success just make sure you clip the coil off short enough to stay below the taper.

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
Usually when I do hydraulic fittings like these it's all the way down with the fingers, then 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more. Always expect them to leak but they almost never do.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Usually when I do hydraulic fittings like these it's all the way down with the fingers, then 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more. Always expect them to leak but they almost never do.
The machine's I work on are 1/6th-1/3rd past sharp rise in torque on all the fittings like these.

Never had any issues with either them or HPOP fittings as long as that's all you give it.

Like Ryan said though, the housing sucks, so be careful.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
They are not that bad. Out of the hundreds that I have built, I can count how many I repaired on both hands. It's usually a result of over tightening or cross threading them. Like I said, easy fix if your setup for it.

Also, use the 680 sealer and that will insure you have no leaks.

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
You guys scare the crap out of me! :poke:

J/K

For the last ten years all I have worked on was made out of Magnesium, Aluminum, or Titanium, with a sprinkling of SS.
We called Ti, "Unobtainium" due to it's cost of replacement.

The tool I used the most during the day was a Torque Wrench and I have a bunch of them. I used them on everything! They are my best friends.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts