Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it on the block heater to leave it plugged in for a week without driving it? I work out of town and it is a bear to start when I get back. I have a 96 7.3l with a lil over 300k on it just recently bought it and have discovered how much of a pain it is to start without it being plugged in. It gets down to around 10°at night on a regular

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,425 Posts
I mean, you'd probably burn it out I would think. I've never cared to try and see what happens, so thats kinda just assumption on my part. Have you checked your glow plugs and or relay to see if they work properly?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Yeah, I would look into the glowplug system first.
At 10°F, you shouldn't be having that much trouble.
If those are original injectors, they could be getting worn.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If my foggy memory serves, seems like the local bus lot had a timer on some of their busses, looked to me like one of those old types that you would use to turn on/off Christmas lights or a sprinkler system. Not sure if one would handle enough juice for a block heater though??

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have not checked the glow plugs yet and just ordered a glow plug relay as it does not "click" all the time. It had no prob starting a few weeks ago it just started acting up.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If my foggy memory serves, seems like the local bus lot had a timer on some of their busses, looked to me like one of those old types that you would use to turn on/off Christmas lights or a sprinkler system. Not sure if one would handle enough juice for a block heater though??

I run a timer. It has ground fault properties and I run it for 3 hrs. Kicks on @ 4am.

I do not have any starting issues but does make the morning start ups easy.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
looked to me like one of those old types that you would use to turn on/off Christmas lights or a sprinkler system. Not sure if one would handle enough juice for a block heater though??
But if they were already using it for the buses?......
If it's the same "box" I'm thinking about, most are around 40 amp. But that means nothing, as a box is just a box. Amperage would be set by the wiring, breaker, and timer size.
I run a 15amp digital timer when I use mine. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-15-Amp-3-Outlet-Digital-Residential-Plug-in-Countdown-Lighting-Timer/50063929
From my calculations, a typical 1k watt block heater will pull 8 amps.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah I wrote that wrong, was meaning didn't know if a sprinkler timer was heavy enough, it just looked like one, thanks for the link, may have to go get one.

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
make sure the timer can handle 1500 watts and you will be fine.
3 or 4 hours max is all that is needed to get the engine hot enough to crack of at -10 degrees.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Some reason I was calculating a typical idi 1k watt heater. Most psd are 1.5k.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Some reason I was calculating a typical idi 1k watt heater. Most psd are 1.5k.

Thanks for the clarification. On the original question, I hope his relay fixes it, simple and easy, but leaving one plugged in for more than over night makes me nervous about fire, but I've seen people around here leave stuff plugged in for weeks. Especially the psd's. The common cold start procedure here is when the wts light goes off, crank until the starter smokes. Repeat as needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replaced the relay a couple days ago and pops off like a dream in the morning he now. Now the old battery cables are not contacting very good so there's that. I guess if its not one thon g its the other haha. Ordered some new cables hopefully its not the alternator or something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good evening,

I had a 01' 7.3 that i bought when I had around 180k on it and had issues when it was cold trying to get it to start. I went out of town for a week and left it at the airport. Had them keep it plugged in and when I came back started right up.

I replaced the injectors, the glow plugs and the hpop. After all that I got a new starter put in and new batteries. Started right up every time after that. I figure I wasn't getting good compression with a slow starter.

Saddest thing about the story is once I got it running perfect last year around 250k some s.o.b. stole it. I'm sure it's in Mexico somewhere running drugs or people.

Silver lining is now I have a 2012 6.7 that's perfect. Thank God for good insurance.

Best of luck brother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get a Power Badger. It uses a temp probe that turns on the block heater and has the truck ready when you set your temp you want it ready to start the truck. Little over $100 on Amazon. Check it out. Saves money and your block heater.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How hard is it on the block heater to leave it plugged in for a week without driving it? I work out of town and it is a bear to start when I get back. I have a 96 7.3l with a lil over 300k on it just recently bought it and have discovered how much of a pain it is to start without it being plugged in. It gets down to around 10°at night on a regular
You can get a Thermo Cube, they have different temp settings and they're cheap. I have one in my pump house that turns on my heater at 35* and turns off at 45* perfect for domestic water. They handle enough watts to use on a truck. Here's one that goes from 38* - 50*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts