Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Check to make sure the cord didn't become unplugged from the block first. Do a search, multiple threads on it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
for the $20, just replace the cord first to be sure...

·
Registered
572 Posts
If the cord looks bad get the whole kit (cord and element)
Recently got one from Jim at Sunrise Ford for $41
Work quick and you only spill a small splash of coolant

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Check your plug where the wires go into it. They always go bad there cause people pull the plugs apart buy grabbing the wires and yanking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you have access to an ohm meter you can check resistance of the two flat pins. You typically see around 15-17 ohms of resistance on good plug. This will check the plug and the element. If your reading is high unplug it from the element and clean connections, this will usually bring the resistance into the correct range. High resistance will indicate damaged cord, plug or element. Also if you can check resistance wiggle the plug if the reading jumps around the plug is junk. You can get a replacement plug from Home Depot for 6 bucks. One more think an easy way to verify if it works, plug in the block heater on a cold engine for a couple of hours, then reach in and touch the block. It should begin to get warm. After an overnight soak with the block heater plugged in I usually see around 70-80 degrees coolant temp. Good luck

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks i checked ohms and it was 16-17 then it was jumpy..ill try and just replacing cord and check ohms of the element when i get the cord off...thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts