Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
04 oilburner
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at work the factory Catapillar tech was working on one of our loaders. He pulled the rest of the block heater cord out(the excess was tyed up and put down in the engine compartment) and there was a sticker that said "unplug heater and wait 5 mins before starting." I asked why and he said it doesnt matter. I was wondering about my 6.0. Do I need to wait 5 minutes after I unplug it. I usually just unplug it, walk around and start it up. I also got to wondering what about starting it up while still plugged in? What would happen?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Starting it up while plugged in wont hurt a thing. Its just a big piece of heat trace that draws power from an outside source, its not interconnected at all

I

·
0 Posts
Starting it up while plugged in wont hurt a thing. Its just a big piece of heat trace that draws power from an outside source, its not interconnected at all
The reason I don't start the truck with it plugged in is because I have an outlet on my porch and as soon as I go outside I unplug it otherwise I would probably forget and drag the damn thing down the road...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Everyone has their own morning routine, I start mine turn on the lights so I can see to unplug and put the cord someplace where I wont park on it when I come home at night.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
I leave it plugged in while it warms up

·
Registered
177 Posts
I start mine all the time with it plugged in and even sometimes let in warm up. My cap to cover the prongs on the block heater is not longer attached to the cord so I put the cover on the hood so I see it and it reminds me to unplug it before I roll it out the shop.

·
I'm not a Newb!
100 Posts
I start the truck first then walk around and unplug it while I scrape off the windows....

It was pretty nice today. I just got me a new chord from farm & fleet it has a light at the end of the plug to show it has power.

·
I'm not a Newb!
100 Posts
Yea its just a local chain around IL/IA pretty good place to go if you ever see one. I got it for about 14 dollars. Its a "cold weather" cord. I guess the insulation doesnt crack when its cold....

So far it works like a charm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Make sure what ever cord you use is 12gauge, and plugged into a twenty amp circuit. 12gauge is rated for twenty amps, also use the shortest cord you can, dont use a 100 or a fifty footer to plug in five feet away. The length of cord affects the amount of draw, the block heater is a big draw, running a long cheap cord could lead to a huge problem. 14gauge cords are only rated for 15amps.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Make sure what ever cord you use is 12gauge, and plugged into a twenty amp circuit. 12gauge is rated for twenty amps, also use the shortest cord you can, dont use a 100 or a fifty footer to plug in five feet away. The length of cord affects the amount of draw, the block heater is a big draw, running a long cheap cord could lead to a huge problem. 14gauge cords are only rated for 15amps.
How many amps does the block heater draw?

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
How many amps does the block heater draw?
8.33 amps at 1000watts, 120 volt. I've used 50' cords for many years, no problem. It's not like you really need to figure in line losses and all the other crap. I use #12, mainly because that's what all my cords are, but #14 would be fine as well.;)

Watts, divided by volts, gives you amps.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
8.33 amps at 1000watts, 120 volt. I've used 50' cords for many years, no problem. It's not like you really need to figure in line losses and all the other crap. I use #12, mainly because that's what all my cords are, but #14 would be fine as well.;)

Watts, divided by volts, gives you amps.
Ohm's law?

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
I park my truck across my yard, so i command start it and when i go out there i unplug the cord
I have a 50 foot 12/3 cord rated to -50
Also have a tri plug with a 3 foot cord on it under my bumper that lights up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts