Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NObama
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on why my block heater would just stop.working for no reason? Worked great last two winters, got in truck this morning and it obviously hadn't worked all weekend... And yes the extension cord is good tested it with meter and even ran another cord. Do these use a fuse or something? Or is the cord end prone to.failure? The cord was installed from factory on my truck. Thanks for any help.

·
NObama
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and no obvious disconnects or damage to the wire or end...

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Set meter to ohms test leads to block heater cord should read 12-18 ohms. If you have OFL disconnect factory wire harness and retest at the heater itself. spec is the same. if you have OFL at the heater terminals it has failed.

·
bigmick
112 Posts
my block heater went bad after the first year, took it back and they replaced it under warranty. Ford guy told me they are prone to fail if they are left plugged in for extended periods of time. now i try to plug in maybe an hour or so before i plan on leaving. really helps on the electric bill too!

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Yeah owners manual states that plugged in for over three hours is unnecessary. Allot of my buddies use a timer.

·
NObama
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I was bad about leaving the thing plugged in all night, would do it when I got home from work... shoulda done the timer on it... I did test the cord and its good so I'm needing to change the heater... guess I have to drain the coolant to do it? Time to take out the EGR coolers I suppose.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Out of curiosity, are you seeing temps that make running the block heater necessary?

I'm originally from Houston, and I never used block heaters until I moved to Michigan. And even up here I don't see any advantage to plugging it in unless the low is 20 or below, and staying in the low 20s for hours overnight.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Anything below freezing I run it for 1 hr minimum. You can definitely tell the difference when you plug in. Glow plug light only comes on for a second.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Does it make the truck heat up quicker?

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I high idle mine but it is so dam loud lol sounds like a jet. Guess it is the 6" tip and no muffler. It high idles by its self anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine works, but doesn't seem to make a real big difference other than the GP light. Temps the past few nights here in WV have been in the teens and 20's. I have a timer on it at home, but not while I'm at work. The other night when we actually got some snow, it didn't even keep the snow melted off of the hood and other times it works good enough I don't even have frost on the windshield.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine works, but doesn't seem to make a real big difference other than the GP light. Temps the past few nights here in WV have been in the teens and 20's. I have a timer on it at home, but not while I'm at work. The other night when we actually got some snow, it didn't even keep the snow melted off of the hood and other times it works good enough I don't even have frost on the windshield.
I've never seen an engine block heater have any effect at all on snow or frost on the outside of a vehicle.

I think the idea is to keep the block above freezing, and that's about it.

Winters are probably a little more severe up here, although it seems to be running late this year. Normally by now I'd have at least a few feet of snow in the back yard, but I can still see grass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Snow melt is just a by-product from the engine being warm. Tonight it has cleared the hood completely off. I'm considering replacing the plug anyway since it's been a huge PITA to plug in the times I have used it. BTW-Semper Fi Wizzard!

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
I've never seen an engine block heater have any effect at all on snow or frost on the outside of a vehicle.

I think the idea is to keep the block above freezing, and that's about it.

Winters are probably a little more severe up here, although it seems to be running late this year. Normally by now I'd have at least a few feet of snow in the back yard, but I can still see grass.
My 6.0 would melt a ring into 6" of snow. As for my new truck not too sure. It's just been damn cold this year without much snow.

·
Registered
380 Posts
BTW-Semper Fi Wizzard!
Semper Fi!

I high idle mine but it is so dam loud lol sounds like a jet. Guess it is the 6" tip and no muffler. It high idles by its self anyway.
I never did the high idle mod to mine, but when it's cold, and left idle for a 5-10 minutes the idle goes up to 1000-1100 on its own, seemed high enough to me. It certainly warms up faster that way. It drops back down if you tap the brakes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts