Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 1/2 powerstroke and the block heater quit working. I think the glow plugs are bad, and it won't start when cold. Once it is warm it will start until you leave it overnight and it gets cold again. (I rolled it down the driveway to get it started) Of course I wasn't smart enough to park it where it would roll this time, and I don't have anybody around to help me push it :(
Anyways I plan on replacing the glowplugs, and then it will probably start, but the block heater doesn't work and it is getting cold out. Anybody know what the problem could be with the block heater? Could it be as simple as a fuse? No markings in the fuse box for which one might be connected to the block heater, but I couldn't find a bad fuse. Anybody know which fuse would go to the block heater?

·
OBS Stroker
1,004 Posts
There is no block heater fuse. The cord plugs in beside the oil filter. You probably just need a new cord.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I've found that an oil pan heater made a big difference in starting.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
We did my neighbors truck last winter for exactly the same thing. Take Rob up on his offer and get the new GPs/relay. You don't want to go into winter wasting power trying to light it with a block heater. Also, dead GPs throw enough resistance that they can kill UVC harnesses.

I got a power cord from a navistar dealer for less than $20.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Power cord for the block heater is generic. NAPA should have them for about the same $20-ish if there isn't a Navistar/Intl dealer nearby.

True, nothing beats new Motorcraft/Beru GPs and a Stancor relay, but before throwing money around, TEST! You can measure the resistance of the plugs, and the voltage drop of the relay, with a $10 (or less) voltmeter. Plus, the meter can tell you if there are any issues with the UVCHs or the connectors on the gaskets themselves; worth knowing even if you're replacing the plugs and/or relay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts