Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally blew an intercooler boot off last week. Thing is, it wasn't even on my truck!

I had a project at work to build a controller to allow an engine from a particular machine that we make to be run on an engine dyno at a tech college.
The engine is an Iveco 10.3L cursor. College is Central Community College in Hastings, Ne.

The controller under development on my desk at work:

The final product:

Putting the engine in:

The engine and controller as seen from the control room:

During some testing of the installation (not really doing any engine testing yet), I loaded the engine and the boot on the hot side connection to the CAC blew off. The tube whipped up and back, pivoting on the turbo to tube boot, tearing a huge hole in that boot. I was wearing ear plugs and standing in the control room when it happened, and it was still loud!

The next day we were able to do some testing.

At the 2010rpm, the engine was making 1150 ft-lb of torque, for 441hp.
The most power that engine made in 2 days of testing was 496hp at 1960rpm. That same pull I ran out of dyno at 1500 ft-lb and 1700rpm. At that point the torque curve was still climbing as the engine was pulled down!

All that from 10.3L of forced induction, compression ignition goodness.

·
Non Helpful Member
818 Posts
A Iveco Motor what a POS I had a fx45 corn chopper with that pos motor in it every year boom just about at 600hr every year. I hated that chopper and motor

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FX45 is the 13L. The engine I got running on the dyno is a 10.3L.
But still, I know of several combines with the 13L with well over 600 hours on them, and MANY combines with 10L engines in them with over 2000 hours on them.

·
Non Helpful Member
818 Posts
What ever I know of at least 12 fx45 that had the same problem. When your choping 40 ton per acr of corn and allways at the governer that pos could not take it.

Your never going to get me to think a Iveco motor is any good you have no Idea how much money I lost with them things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts