Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 f350 drw with 84k miles all stock
That I purchased new i get a lot of black smoke when accelerate or passing, it's very bad when getting on the interstate kinda embarrassing so much smoke I can't see nothing in the rearview mirror. I told the dealer before the warranty was over and they just said that meant it was running good. The first 3=4 yrs it didn't smoke and I got a average of 15,5 mpg. Then I went to dealer for a oil leak repair before warranty was gone and I think they reprogrammed my truck with the latest version. Not long after that I noticed my mpg was down to 12=13 mpg and I stopped driving the truck as much, then I started seeing the smoke in the rearview mirror. I cleaned my egr twice over the years,new air filter, truck runs great just don't think the smoke is normal any help would be great. Thanks

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,355 Posts
Welcome to the nation!

Could be a number of things. Is the turbo plugged in? What about the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor hose? is it secured to the passenger side of the intake manifold? Any boots ripped? intercooler blown out? Lots of stuff, thats just the most simple stuff I would check over before diving in too deep. It might be related to work that was done, but thats just a guess due to the info presented. Hope this helps a bit.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,087 Posts
Look at the EBP, MAP, and Baro readings. They should be the same at KOEO when reporting the values in PSIA. Post the readings that you get.

If you don;t know how to pull engine data - just ask. It is easy.

A scan tool is a necessity if you own a 6.0L and don't have a competent and reasonably priced mechanic. You can get an EXCELLENT tool (ForScan Lite) downloaded to your phone for cheap. Add the proper OBDII adapter (we can help you get the right one), for $40, and you can then troubleshoot your 6.0L engine (without it you will probably have to guess - and that gets expensive).

·
Administrator
8,049 Posts
^^^what those guys said^^^
and if the dealers mechanics tells you black smoke is normal, it is time to find a mechanic that knows what he is talking about, because those guys are trying to blow smoke up your asterisk!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help I have a blue tooth plugged in to my obd.? With the torque pro app on my phone I will try the things recomend, my need some help with the KOEO , EBP, and PSIA not sure what all that means. The truck is still like new 84k mile sitting in my basement most of the time. The cab was pulled around 2011 by Ford to fix the oil leak was the bed plate I think, I would have live with the leak if I knew they was pulling my cab. I thought about sending it to Bill at powerstroke in Georgia
Look at the EBP, MAP, and Baro readings. They should be the same at KOEO when reporting the values in PSIA. Post the readings that you get.

A scan tool is a necessity if you own a 6.0L and don't have a competent and reasonably priced mechanic. You can get an EXCELLENT tool (ForScan Lite) downloaded to your phone for cheap. Add the proper OBDII adapter (we can help you get the right one), for $40, and you can then troubleshoot your 6.0L engine (without it you will probably have to guess - and that gets expensive).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Will the torque pro app work or do I need the forscan lite? Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
8,049 Posts
koeo is key off engine off. ebp is exhaust back pressure. map is manifold absolute pressure.
baro is barometric pressure sensor psia is Pounds per square inch absolute.
and please please please stay far far away from powerstrokehelp dude. hos sole purpose in life is to drum up unneeded repairs coming into his shop so he can rip off unsuspecting diesel owners.

torque pro may work, but forscan is much better ... when you finally figure out how to use it

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,087 Posts
You had a typo there tjc - KOEO is "Key-ON-Engine -off".

As tjc posted - Torque Pro can get us the requested values. ForScan Lite is better at pulling codes and can do a number of system tests that Torque Pro cannot do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am old and senile, cut me some slack!!! View attachment 200676
Will the torque pro app work or do I need the forscan lite? Thanks for your help
koeo is key off engine off. ebp is exhaust back pressure. map is manifold absolute pressure.
baro is barometric pressure sensor psia is Pounds per square inch absolute.
and please please please stay far far away from powerstrokehelp dude. hos sole purpose in life is to drum up unneeded repairs coming into his shop so he can rip off unsuspecting diesel owners.

torque pro may work, but forscan is much better ... when you finally figure out how to use it
With the key on engine off my ebp 15.0 map 15.1 baro 14.5 .. With the engine warm idling the ebp 17.5 map 15.1 baro 14.5.. driving the truck normal the max #s was ebp 50.2 map 42.1 baro 14.5 got these numbers from the torque pro app. Thanks

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,087 Posts
Have you ever pulled the EGR valve to see if it was "carboned" up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes pulled it about 20k miles ago it looked good I cleaned it and replaced the gasket and o ring. Truck runs great just the smoke when hard accelerate and the mpg went down hill. I heard ford reflash the computer to help with warranty repairs and it caused mpg to go down? Think I heard that from bill powerstroke video. I know the dealer did reflash my when I was in there before warranty was out to get the oil leak fix and they had to pull my cab. I tried trading in the truck at time and no dealer in my area would take a 6.0.
With only 84k I need to replace my cab bushings and I'm kinda waiting to see if I need cab pulled for anything else "like egr delete oil cooler or head studs, everyone with a 6.0 I have seen has been pulled apart a few times. I will pull that egr tomorrow and clean it up. Thanks

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,087 Posts
Be sure to use Carb cleaner (not brake cleaner) when cleaning the EGR valve and make sure you don't get any cleaner into the actuator (or even up against the actuator seals).

Some other reasons for excessive smoke might be a restricted air filter or a turbo that is getting some carbon that is restricting movement of the guide vanes to the exhaust wheel.

If you have time, log some data at different driving conditions:
MAP, psia
EBP, (psia OR psig)
VGT %
Mass Air Flow, lb/min OR g/sec

Log the data at:
cold idle
hot idle
cruising speed (say 50-60 mph)
light acceleration
reasonably heavy acceleration

Post results.