Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know where else to put this. I was discussing Bio Diesel on another website and ran some numbers I thought were interesting comparing a Toyota Prius to a theoretical F350 running B100 and getting 20MPG. I just chose the 20MPG to make my calculations easier. :D

According to the EPA
Gasoline 19.4 lbs/g of CO2
Diesel 22 lbs/g of CO2
Bio-diesel(49%) 11.2 lbs/g of CO2

50 MPG(prius) is 2.5 X 20 MPG(projected F350)

So 2.5 X 11.2 lbs/g(F350 on B100) = 28 lbs/G on level with Prius

So its 44% more CO2 from truck that weighs 8200lbs. Or the Prius produces 56% less CO2 than the F350.

According to Toyota the curb weight of a Prius is 2932 lbs Thats 64% less weight than my pickup. So the Prius weighing 64% less than the pickup produces 54% less CO2. Even if you don't get 20MPG IMHO thats not bad for an old beast with completely outdated technology compared to the latest and greatest in fuel efficiency and emissions.

If my calculations are wrong, please let me know.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
What's funny is the new diesels now pollute about as much as a Prius. In 2010, diesels will be king of low emissions vehicles. Already the diesels with the DPF's produce 25% less carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and carbon dioxide than most gas engines, and produce about the same amount of particulate matter and NOX. Those numbers will drop in a few years.

The sucky part is getting everything to work. Too bad they can't figure out how to get performance and still keep the engine smokeless like the Audi R10. Oh well, just a few more years and we might be there.

Oh yeah, and if you use bio-diesel on a clean diesel vehicle, you cut carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon pollution in half again. Even the tree hugging hippies can't hate on diesels anymore.

Of course I won't be trading my smoking, skinking, oil burning truck any time soon for a "clean diesel" pickup.

·
Above It All
285 Posts
You have to watch those Hybrid numbers. They get great city mileage but suck on the highway. The electric doesn't cut it @65 so they are running on petrol full time. Besides, I haven't found one that will pull my trailer. :)

·
Banned
780 Posts
canada... kinda like living in the apartment above a REALLY COOL party.... LOL JK... witch hybrids are you talking about?? and reguardless the prius is more aerodynamic than a corvette.. and running on dino it still gets 40+

·
1,097 Posts
Go to www.epa.gov and do a search for "AP-42" Mobile source emissions.

This is the EPA's bible on emission factors. I'm not a fan of the EPA but this is something they do well.

I think your carbon balance for B100 is too low.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got these numbers from the EPA website. I like the idea of a hybrid system especially with power generation on braking. I keep thinking how great it would be to capture some power during braking down a grade when my truck and trailer weigh 22K lbs. Imagine the power you could generate, and if designed correctly the system could be used in place of an exhaust brake.

I think a hybrid F350 is a good idea, but doubt it would happen, and can just imagine the weight increase.

It would be really nice if people would stop throwing insults and arrogance on the topic and came up with some real solutions. For me a Prius is NOT a real solution.

·
1,097 Posts
Regenerative braking is the principal advantage of the hybrids.

Regenerative braking works well in stop-and-go driving. It is just extra weight in road driving where there is little stop-and-go.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True, especially with the small hybrid cars, but think of the potential energy you could capture going downhill with a 15,000lb trailer. Being able to use that energy while climbing the next hill would help a lot, and you would be able to have more power without an impact on EGTs. Just thinking about it from a Systems Engineer viewpoint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts