Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between a forged rod and a billet rod other than the

easy to swallow forged price

and

the hard to swallow billet piece and sexiness

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
The difference is you have PMR's and you should keep it stock.

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
The difference is you have PMR's and you should keep it stock.
Because you're a shining example of keeping a truck stock.

You could also make option C, forged rods that have been cryo'd and heat treated. An in between option.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Because you're a shining example of keeping a truck stock.
Stock 6 liter problems > Stock 7.3 problems

blown headgaskets < blown motor

With the effect his 6 liter had in him and his pocketbook, I don't think he'd be in a position to take a chance on rodding a block.

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
rods from hypermax : )

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
I went with a set of 2500$ forged rods vs billet....billet has its weak points, from what Ive read me and a lot other would prefer forged over billet....

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
A billet rod can sustain more cylinder pressure without fatiguing, than a forged rod, or PMR rod, in a 7.3 of course we are talking about. Given it is a smooth pressure build curve in the cylinder, and not a violent sharp one, because sharp pressure curves in a cylinder will kill even a billet rod.

·
Aint going anywhere fast
3,258 Posts

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
If you sold some of that chit your smokin you would be a rich SOB. LOL
I guess you missed the pictures of Cale's engine laying in ~3 pieces after he ran over 100lbs of boost when the passenger's side head and top half of the block were laying elsewhere yet all 4 Hypermax rods were just hangin out ready to rock.

And that's not the first time those rods have been in a situation where the block let go around them. I think he's done that 2 or 3 times now. The rods just keep coming back for more.

Nothing wrong with forged rods. I have those same rods in my engine. It has been over 90lbs a few times. I have datalogged as much as 93.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hypermax Forged rods

·
Registered
576 Posts
I guess you missed the pictures of Cale's engine laying in ~3 pieces after he ran over 100lbs of boost when the passenger's side head and top half of the block were laying elsewhere yet all 4 Hypermax rods were just hangin out ready to rock.

And that's not the first time those rods have been in a situation where the block let go around them. I think he's done that 2 or 3 times now. The rods just keep coming back for more.

Nothing wrong with forged rods. I have those same rods in my engine. It has been over 90lbs a few times. I have datalogged as much as 93.
Evidently you got into stroken's stash, step away from the pipe charles. Aftermarket forged rods are a good upgrade from stock but they are not as strong as billett no matter how many funny brownies you eat :pointlaugh:

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
MMMMMM..........brownies!

:eek:fftopic Sorry

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Evidently you got into stroken's stash, step away from the pipe charles. Aftermarket forged rods are a good upgrade from stock but they are not as strong as billett no matter how many funny brownies you eat :pointlaugh:
That simply isn't true. There is nothing magical about the word billet.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
Forged, when done right, is typically stronger than billet. Billet is popular because all you need is a CNC mill to form whatever you want out of it. The setup cost to forge something is huge and only pays off if you're producing mass quantities of it.
The end billet product looks cooler though, and that combined with a lot of people getting the idea that billet is stronger allows a lot of manufacturers to charge more for the billet products than the forged ones. So in the end a lot of times you're paying more for less.

Justin

·
Milk Truck
1,490 Posts
Forged, when done right, is typically stronger than billet. Billet is popular because all you need is a CNC mill to form whatever you want out of it. The setup cost to forge something is huge and only pays off if you're producing mass quantities of it.
The end billet product looks cooler though, and that combined with a lot of people getting the idea that billet is stronger allows a lot of manufacturers to charge more for the billet products than the cast ones. So in the end a lot of times you're paying more for less.

Justin
I've had a couple engine builders tell me the same exact thing.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.