Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some transmission mods this spring including a billet converter.. Those of you that have one, was there any noticeable differences? Manufacturers claim better power & economy. I'm considering the RacerX.

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Mine was about toast when I did the build/converter so I can't say for sure. I know that if you go back with a stock converter it WON'T hold up to any increase in power. You need additional clutches/good quality clutches in your rebuild. One of the main differences is the number of "clutches or disc" in the billet converters, and if you look at the front cover that bolts to the flex plate the billet converter doesn't just have tabs welded on to bolt to, the threads are made into the cover. They are much stronger and a must if you intend your trans to last any period of time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know most aftermarket converters have a lower stall. Will this help any with quicker launches?

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Depends on your build. There is stalls available at about any RPM you want. If you're not going with a big build (over 500-550hp) stay close to stock stall

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a billet lid converter. All the billet lid does is flex less and is better for the lockup clutch. Everybody pushes the triple disc but a good single disc can hold a lot of power. Its the stator where the magic happens. The converter I have is not tight enough on the top end for the power im making. The guys that built this converter tell me that I need one with a dodge stator, im going to do it as the will give me full credit on the one I already bought. Sometimes its nice to work with a local company.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
i tried a billet single disk... once. I dont think it lasted a week. Triple is much better, but IMO if you dont have a beefed up trans its not worth throwing a billet tc in the mix.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i tried a billet single disk... once. I dont think it lasted a week. Triple is much better, but IMO if you dont have a beefed up trans its not worth throwing a billet tc in the mix.
the missing part of this is there is more than one size and type of lockup clutch disc. Whats in each torque converter is unfortunately kept under wraps. single discs do exist with more surface area than stock.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Like they said stall depends on power your making. I ran a 2800ish for a bit and now have a 1800ish.. I wish I woulda stuck with the higher stall so I had a lil more room on the line to build boost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts