Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've run the big Fleetguard filters for years now. After about 5000 miles (running smokey WVO) the oil comes out like black syrup. Normal? Maybe.

Well I took a chance on the more expensive Donaldson Endurance ELF7405 Dual flow filter and felt the need to post results.

After 5000 miles the oil is a clearish gray. Definitely not black by any means. It's been like that since the first week, and I check it often. It hasn't changed color in 5000 mikes. I have not had a professional oil analysis done, this is just a dip stick test.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Hey guys I've run the big Fleetguard filters for years now. After about 5000 miles (running smokey WVO) the oil comes out like black syrup. Normal? Maybe.

Well I took a chance on the more expensive Donaldson Endurance ELF7405 Dual flow filter and felt the need to post results.

After 5000 miles the oil is a clearish gray. Definitely not black by any means. It's been like that since the first week, and I check it often. It hasn't changed color in 5000 mikes. I have not had a professional oil analysis done, this is just a dip stick test.
Hey Travis what is the series number for the Fleetguard you ran? I am running the FL9691 and it's a full flow AND stack plate by pass filter all in one just wondering if it's similar to the Donaldson?

Cool that is seems to be catching the carbon. Mine seems to be similar mind you, I switched to 5-40 Mobil 1 Full synthetic from Delo 400 15-40w. Never ran the Delo with above filter though. Also running a full by pass DIY Luber-Finer ZGard that is supposed to trap carbon and other "stuff" and collect on Zinc plates in the filter. Like you have not made time to do UOA....

jrc

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd have to pull my receipts because I just cant remember but I'm almost certain I was using the FL9691

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I run the ELF7405 and noticed that the oil stays clearer for longer. Worth the extra cash especially when paired with schaffers syn oil!

·
Registered
446 Posts
What does it take to run one of these larger filters, does it screw right on to the factory oil filter plate or does it require an adapter?

·
Registered
998 Posts
What does it take to run one of these larger filters, does it screw right on to the factory oil filter plate or does it require an adapter?
No adapter needed, a larger filter wrench would come in handy though.

Rusty

·
Stirn Again
75 Posts
So how much does this filter increase oil capacity it is 11.73 in long

Where the Motorcraft is only 7.84 in long

·
Registered
290 Posts
Im pretty sure it puts it up to an even 4 gallons (16qts.)

I bought 3 of these, and will be doing a comparison with a motorcraft filter and full analysis, but its gonna take some time for me to rack up the miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I changed my oil last week, and found that the ELF7405 filter can make contact with the front stabilizer bar, evident by the linear dent in the filter can.

Outside picture:

Inside picture:

Filter media cartridge, just over 10" high. I don't recall the number of pleats:

Interior standpipe:

Diameter, right at 4.25":

And lastly, the spring holding the filter cartridge against the base. It's BIG.

I ran this one about 13,000 miles on Mobil 1 oil with a Amsoil bypass. The filter can was 0.03" thick, 0.025" if you squeezed really hard. I went through 4 or 5 Dremel cutting wheels to get it open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts