Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What truck?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
PSN member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh great Powerstroke gurus, I am in need of some serious advice. I want to change my truck to a Crew Cab model with auto transmission. I have been debating for months now whether to go with a more recent (and more expensive) 6.4, or with a 6.0 or just try to find a decent 7.3. Now I pretty well have a hanvdle on all the plusses and minuses of all the engines. Ultimately, I am looking for a solid 500 hp engine that will give me good mileage and years of problem free driving. I almost do no towing. My truck does not work hard. The seemingly obvious choice would be to go with a 6.4 because they are relatively easy and cheap to upgrade, it's just that all the electronics on these engine kind of scare me. The 6.0 seems ok, after youve done the reliability modifications such as the EGR delete, the headstuds and head gasket etc. I just keep hearing of too many people with issues that seem to pop out of nowhere with these engines. And then there is the 7.3, the good old reliable 7.3. Mine has 300,000 km on it, never had any issues whatsoever with the engine, transmission, clutch (still the original one), and diff. At this pont, I'm thinking buying an engine and rebuilding it with forged rods so I can get to 500 hp and dropping it in to a crewcab. I guess that factors such as money, time and sweat must weigh in the equation. But there is just some kind of satisfaction in owning a 7.3 and working on it to make it better. Just a little confused at this point.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I vote none of the above.

Find the year model with the interior you like the most. Buy one with a blown motor and drop a DT360 in it. Should make for a very reliable daily driver with good mileage and power!

·
PSN member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about that. The DT360 is a longer engine than the 7.3. also, I believe a custom adapter plate is required to mount hte transmission.
How easy are these engines to modify and what kind og HP figures could be expected?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Not sure where you live but you may also want to consider up coming diesel emissions regulations.:eek: Also MPG.

I do not like the 6.0 its too much of a Pandora's box IMO. But I do like its upgraded HUEI.

A 6.4 is going to cost you a lot more up front a 7.3 is going to cost more on the back end to get you to 500.

The 7.3 IMO would likely be the MPG winner especially if you have to leave emissions in place.

I have seen a number of 500 HP 7.3s that get 20 mpg with a light foot on here. IMO, no way you are seeing that with a 6.4 especially with the DPF in place. The 7.3 has by far the longest track record and a very proven formula for getting to that power level and is found in the most trucks. Also you can find parts anywhere.

It does cost more once you have it to get the 7.3 to 500 .

On seemingly popular formula that get to right about 500 +/-

4" exhaust
Open air filter
Garrett 38R turbo
238cc 80% nozzle hybrid injectors
Studs, 910 shimmed valve springs, push rods
Upgraded fuel system
Good tuning

500 HP 900-1100 tq 20 mpg cruising

Lowest mileage and clean 99.5- early 2001 with visually confirmed forged rods in the truck model you prefer. If you chose to go the 7.3 route.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Only a few inches longer than a 5.9 cummins from what i've read.

This thread has all the info you could possibly want..

DT-360 Conversion in progress - Powerstroke Nation
But wasn't at least part of the reason.they were so relaible the fact that they were so low powered in the stock setup? Not saying its bad choice or not only going off by what I have read and seen. Also now you have the added cost of a engine swap etc.. if its not a DIY.

To me 7.3 seems like a much simpler cheaper choice with more support. If you do not go with the newer Super Duty's

·
Registered
504 Posts
I dont have any personal experience with them. But if/when I decide to build a truck, it will be a dt360. The strength of that motor is quite a bit higher than the 5.9 cummins' and you see them daily driven at 500hp all the time.

If you can find a rolling chassis for a decent price I dont think it would be *that* expensive, just alot of work.

Very true that a 7.3 truck would be far simpler, just throwing other ideas out there!!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
No don't get me wrong I like the idea of it and from the thread that has already been linked to there was no doubt it was a beefy built engine. Like you I have no personal experience with them other than I have driven a few trucks that had them but they were all factory. Did not know what level of popularity there was for them in the aftermarket. Only felt that like everything the more you go custom the less support there is if you have issues or need help.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You can get 20 out of a 6.4? Is that without dpf ? I had seen about 14 in the one I drove briefly, but I only put about 2 tanks thru it while I was borrowing it so.....

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I am voting 7.3. This is the 7.3 forum right.

·
PSN member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate your comments. I'm kind of leaning towards the 7.3 already.
It's a tough motor and fairly simple to work on. Sometimes you need to get a feel for things before you take a final decision.

·
Registered
782 Posts
im for the 7.3 also i m making 416/786 jus turbo and injectors on 38'' tires

·
Still learning
577 Posts
IMHO you are looking to buy a whole, not just the motor. Me personally, i like the '05-'07 trucks, but the 6.0L's have their problems. I would shop around and see which body style truck you like, cause your not going to be driving in the engine compartment. I have an '05, i got it cause i wanted a more modern truck but couldnt afford the $ on a '08 or higher. And like said earlier each motor has its weaknesses whether they be price, power, or reliablity. I think it really boils down to personal opinion cause who can say one is better than the others? Just my $.02

·
McLovin!
338 Posts
7.3 all the way. And that is coming from a person that has had THREE 6.0's. I have had issues with all three too. Never any problems with the 7.3's I have had in the past. I even had one with 260k on it and it ran like a champ(still going strong). A 6.0 with the same mileage would need to be scrapped.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Why would anyone want to purchase a engine with the 6.0 's history? Why risk your hard earned cash?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Could wait for the scorpion, might top the 6.4
Might also need extra juice to fill....bummer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts