Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running royal purple, but was wondering if there is another synthetic that's just as good, but less expensive. Also been using motorcraft filters; any thoughts?

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Depends on what is meant by as good? What is the RP good at? Is it 15W-40 or 5W-40? I have seen a few RP UOA, none were really impressive at all... An owner could have seen better results and have with M1 TDT-Delo 5W-40-Amsoil AME 15W-40-Valvoline 5W-40 Schaeffers 15W-40 or 5W-40... Even RTS T6 5W-40 have put up some stellar UOA...You have many options... Even regular Dino 15W-40 will hold it's own against RP.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just run a 15W-40, but I only put ~5000mi per year on the truck, so it goes a while between oil changes - that's why I was using synthetic (do i really need to?), but RP seems to be way over hyped. I figured that Rotella synthetic is probably just as good; thought I'd get some input on what everyone else is using.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Rotella synthetic is a fine oil but with your truck covering so few miles per year are synthetics really worth it?

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
I agree with ruf: You don't need synthetics when you only run for 5K a yr... MHO--> you can use Rotella-Delo-Delvac-Valvoline 15W-40 with your M/C filter, and your truck will out live you... If your maintenance habits are top notch... No Worries Mate...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts