Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 f 350 ext cab long bed 4x4. i put an edge program in it, i have a 4" exsust and a K&N air filter i still only get between 13 and 15 mpg and all my miles are on the highway. is there anything i can do without breaking the bank to improve this?

·
Registered
217 Posts
You could check the ebp sensor and tube for the hell of it. It may be clogged and can effect mpg some.

·
Registered
222 Posts
When you say hiway, what speed are you traveling, what RPM? 15 mpg isn't bad for your config. Do you do alot of stop and go?

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
I drive a ton of highway miles and only get 13.5avg. I have done everything that can be done other then new injectors and it hasn't gotten better. I have just learned to live with it.

·
Ticking time bomb
2,385 Posts
I drive a ton of highway miles and only get 13.5avg. I have done everything that can be done other then new injectors and it hasn't gotten better. I have just learned to live with it.
Do you have single shots? If not you will pick up a few mpg my truck gets 18+

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i run like 60 mph about 1800 rpm i was just wondering if an intake or new turbo wheel would help or hurt

·
Registered
298 Posts
I get 18+ in mine with the edge programmer. I found that the tow setting and not getting on the throttle on take offs helped alot.

·
Chachi
237 Posts
afe stage 2 intake helped my mpg

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Clean your ebpv tube.. Some guy made a video of it in the tech section.
Semi free depending on how you do it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Buy a second cheap ass car. And that is a serious response, not a smart ass remark. Use the truck half the time or even less...whenever you need it, depends on what you do with your truck. Just a thought. This is what i do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just calculated my 1st MPG. Mixed town, some hwy, and country roads

Hwy miles were all at 55, overdrive engaged. Super easy on the peddle. Most of my town driving is 45, not many stops and I coast up to those. RPMs were almost always below 2000. For the most part in the 1600 - 1700 range. Same driving habits I use when driving my diesel Sprinter (weights in at 8400#) and get 18 easily over the same route/

10.5 mpg, I was expecting 14-15.

I did find that there is code which points to the exhust back pressure tube maybe being blocked or sensor failed. I'm going to pull the tube in the am for a cleaning and to see if the sensor working.

The Edge CTS is set to power level 2, thinking I should try economy mode or disconnect it all together.

Any other suggestions?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Check for boost leqks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check for boost leqks
Thanks Mike, now I have to figure out how.

I'm wondering, the CTS shows boost, the numbers I have seen are really low there. Not sure what they should be while driving. Always been in single digits. Actually, most of the time its between 0 - 5, even when coming off a stop light.

If this is a valid reading, what should the boost typically be running on these motors?

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
THe car thing definitely helps. With just driving around town errands picking up stuff here and there. My father bought a beater and parked his truck only when he needs it and is saving about 400 per month on fuel no bs

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Google boost leak detector..
Basically a pvc cap air chuck, gauge clamps etc.. Slap it on intake , if your still set up factory crank case vent you need to take off the rubber boot between it and the turbo so you dont pressurize the crank case. Use low pressure only 10 or so pounds look, listen for leeks..soapy water in a spray bottle will help.

Dieselsite sells a kit good directions etc..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts