Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 f250 mostly stock with 4.10 gears an intake and cat delete. I normally get 13 mpg around town empty with a light foot but today i hauled 2 1/2 tons of hay in 2 trips. when i pulled in to fill up with diesel, i topped it off the same amount i normally do, and did the math. 129 miles and it took 8.053 gallons to fill it. am i wrong or is that 16 miles per gallon? this was in town mostly with speeds less than 50 mph and overdrive off..... any ideas of why the better mileage while towing?

·
1,097 Posts
You have some variable you're not including.

You say better MPG towing than empty with all else equal?

I don't believe it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea the only thing ive done any different was haul the hay. I dont believe it either but ive done the math many times. i'm stumped, thats why i posted on here

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You guys get better mpg with he OD off or on?

·
Registered
338 Posts
When towing at freeway speeds(60-65), better mpg in overdrive of course because otherwise you would be spinning high 2300+ rpms.

The only reason I can think of for the OP's higher mpg is that the speeds were lower and maybe he wasn't as lead footed with the trailer in tow. 16 mpg is high for empty. I suspect that your next fillup will show really bad mpg since you only partially filled up this time.

I have found better mpg with slower speeds. I normally tow at 60 mph. Any slower and you are way down on power in overdrive. So the trans keeps shifting down on every hill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i spin 2300 rpm at 65 mph in overdrive. if i kick it out of overdrive it jumps up over 3 grand!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts