Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the umpteenth 7.3 I have built for myself, so I figured I would log this one here for some fun. I have had her for about 3 months and when I brought her home, she was just in OK shape. I sold my last SD ONLY because my growing family needed a Crew Cab. Manuals and 4x4 are becoming a very difficult combination to find in decent shape. I opted for a 2wd because I just don't use my tow-pigs off road and I will have 4wd in my other truck should I need it. This truck is basically a work in progress though a LOT has been down these last few months. Mechanically, the PO did a pretty decent job of taking care things. Brakes were all done, bearings, rebuilt ZF with a complete clutch kit, updated fork, etc....she basically just needed what most 7.3s need when an owner isn't knowledgeable of what makes them run right and very well. Here are a few pics of when I brought her home to present day. In the next few days I'll log what has been done and upload more photos. There is still a decent list of things, but nothing major. She is about at the point where I would hook up any trailer and head across country. Anyways....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Project Shamu
Good looking truck 馃憤

Reactions: BBslider001

Registered
1997 F-350 CCLB 7.Tree
Amazing what a good wash and polish does, nicely done! 馃

PSN intsigator
Nice looking truck

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #5
So, now I have some time to recap whats been done and regroup what needs to be done. Here is the list so far, not cost listed since we all kinda know this already since most of us have modded our trucks to some extent.

here is the list so far...

Mechanics:
1) 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust
2) CNC Fab 4 Line Fuel Kit
3) Rebuilt Turbo with new SP Turbo Billet 5+5 Wheel
4) 3 Pillar Gauge install (Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, EGT)
5) Injector Hot torque (some were finger tight when i did this)
6) 8 New Beru GPs
7) Riffraff AIH Delete plug
8) RiffRaff 6637 Air Intake
9) Oil Cooler Orings/Gaskets
10) Power Steering Pump/Lines/Flush
11) Fuel Bowl reseal and regulator rebuild with Diesel O-Rings Kit
12) Turbo Pedestal delete and butterfly delete

To still be done: UP-PIPES, trans fluid change, rear diff cover/fluid change

Interior:
1) New Cluster lens
2) Took dash apart for deep clean
3) White LED bulbs for cluster and AC control board
4) Weather Tech mats front and rear
5) Deep Cleaned and conditioned seats
6) Fixed loose center console that was missing a bolt
7) Door lock actuators

Still to be done: rear window motors (need to investigate), possible radio replacement, seat bottom cover on drivers side

Exterior:

1) Updated broken mirrors with newer style SD towing mirrors
2) removed wheel well trim
3) sanded and polished front and rear wheels to remove imperfections
4) painted grill flat black
5) replaced headlight and blinker bezels
6) new B&W Gooseneck Hitch
7) replaced fender marker lights with LEDs
8) new windshield
9) removed ALL crappy trailer wire rats nest and installed new factory plug and 7-way trailer plug

Still to be done: polish what is left of good paint, rhino line the bed

Well, I believe that is everything up to this point. There are still a few big jobs left as you can see. I am dreading up-pipes after all the crap I went through last week, but the good side is that the bolts on the bottom were manageable, so maybe the top won't be TOO bad.

Thanks for reading guys. I'll keep updating as things pop up and more improvements are made. I'll get some photos up here in the next hour of what I have to show some of the work done.

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #6

Registered
Interesting... What dash do you have in there? Looks like a mechanical Odometer... I thought the newer trucks were all digital. Nice looking truck.

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #8
The above photos just show some cleaning up of the trailer wiring, engine bay, interior, and grill with new lights. The interior also shows the LED cluster. I found our using the white over the green bulbs gave it a nice crisp look. I also have a new pedestal installed. I'll post thsose up. Gotta find them.

The wiring was horrendous. I am not sure what goes through a person's head when splicing in new connectors when all you need is plug and play. I pulled all of that from underneaths as well as two plugs out of the bed because none of them worked. I bought a new factory 7-way and plugged dinto the factory plug underneath. Everything works now. Ain't that something? LOL

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting... What dash do you have in there? Looks like a mechanical Odometer... I thought the newer trucks were all digital. Nice looking truck.
I don't think they went digital until 2003. It's just the stock 2000 dash. Thanks for the good words!

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #10
The mudflaps are Husky brand. I took off this homemade job of a mudflap bar that was bolted to the bed from underneath. It was the most redneck thing on there. I also pulled out the most dangerous gooseneck hitch I have seen and replaced it with a proper B&W.

Registered
My 97 F350 7.3 has a digital odometer... I'm a little surprised that they would have gone backward from digital to mechanical. The previous owner of my truck did something similar with the trailer wiring. I stripped it back to the original plug. Where did you get the new plug? Did the same thing with homemade gooseneck hitch too - stripped it out. B&W makes some nice stuff.

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Some before and after of sanding and polishing. I started at 600 grit and worked my way down to 2000. Then I used a Mother's polishing ball, polish, and my drill. I was pretty happy. I was not sure I'd be able to get that mirror finish.

Appreciate you guys following along and commenting.

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #13
My 97 F350 7.3 has a digital odometer... I'm a little surprised that they would have gone backward from digital to mechanical. The previous owner of my truck did something similar with the trailer wiring. I stripped it back to the original plug. Where did you get the new plug? Did the same thing with homemade gooseneck hitch too - stripped it out. B&W makes some nice stuff.
Yeah, kinda odd to me too on the ODO. I got the plug and bracket from Etrailer. It was about $75 for everything.

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #14
Nice looking truck

Good looking truck 馃憤
Amazing what a good wash and polish does, nicely done! 馃
Nice looking truck

Thanks fellas. As you know,a labor of love for sure. She has come a loooong way in a short time. Now there won't be any cool fab work like Dan's stuff, but there will be some more things done. I need to change fluid in the trans. I use Schaeffers in the ZF and always like to add the extra 1.5 quarts from the top in all of my trucks. I am also debating on some sort of drain and fill diff cover for the Dana 80. They are pricey, so I might wait on that until after the first of the year. I have a few more photos of turbo stuff to post up....gotta find those pics.

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just a a rebuilt stock turbo with a 5+5 bullet wheel, and a closer shot of the new pedestal and CNC 4-line fuel kit...all stainless. Truck is running absolutely great and that fuel line upgrade improved idle and acceleration.

PSN intsigator

Native Californian
Discussion Starter #17
Found a set of Airbags on Amazon for over half off due to package damage. I'll be getting those Thursday and installing. Hopefully it's a straightforward deal. Photos will follow.

Reactions: heavydoc
1 - 17 of 17 Posts