Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about painting the gray plastic piece on my front bumper black. What would be the best way and best paint to use?

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm talking about this piece. If paints not a good idea is there a polish to bring the black back?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used a Turtle Wax product that was made for plastic that worked pretty good on mine. I am interested in painting mine also though so I would also like to know if you can paint it with good results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What I have done to all the plastic parts on my truck is clean them really good, then scuff it with a gray scuff pad like 3m brand. Then wipe it down with degreaser and spay them with SEM brand spray paint. I've had the best luck with that brand.

·
TURBO LIT 'N' THAT WAS IT
542 Posts
i have also been wanting to paint my plastic on my bumper but wasnt sure how it would turn out or hold up

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I look for info the more it seems it would be a pain to sand, etch, prime, paint. I'm going to see what I can find for a black polish and try that first, but if anyone has tips or tricks on how to paint this piece please post it up! pics too!

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought some Mothers back to black today. It's raining out now so I will try it tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
Mine is painted white and seems to hold up pretty good. A good adhesion promoter is key

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you tell me how you painted yours, a step by step guide? What exact products did you use. Could you also post a pic? I'm new to painting plastic.

·
542 Posts
Could you tell me how you painted yours, a step by step guide? What exact products did you use. Could you also post a pic? I'm new to painting plastic.
x2

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would one of the rattle cans made for plastic work good? Or would i be better off going to a body shop with the bumper piece and have them prep and spay it? I am not new to painting, i have painted a few trucks and tractors that turned out pretty good. Im just not sure on painting plastic, i want it to look good and last a while.

·
542 Posts
Try the mothers first, I used it and I was shocked it worked so well
how did u go about using the mothers? i used it jus wiping it on with a rag letting it dry then wiping off with another rag and it didnt seem to work very well imo, just wondering what ur method was

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like waxing kinda, put it on thick, rubbed it around in a circular pattern, then left it for a few minutes , then buffed it off about a day later I put another thin thin coat on and left it on except for a little excess removal,, the plastic on the top of my bumper was pretty much grey and it made it look like new

·
Registered
354 Posts
Like waxing kinda, put it on thick, rubbed it around in a circular pattern, then left it for a few minutes , then buffed it off about a day later I put another thin thin coat on and left it on except for a little excess removal,, the plastic on the top of my bumper was pretty much grey and it made it look like new
How long did it stay looking new? Did you try it on other plastic parts like the windshield valance near the wipers, or the wiper arms themselves?

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used the Mothers back to black on the bumper plastic and it just gave it a wet look, im still thinking paint is a better option. I also used the back to black on the mirror plastic and that turned out really nice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Scuff the plastic a little with a scotch bright pad, wipe with some kind of wax and grease remover, the use bulldog adhesion promoter, then plastic paint. I use the hi-tech brand plastic paint

·
Always Learning
143 Posts
Scuff the plastic a little with a scotch bright pad, wipe with some kind of wax and grease remover, the use bulldog adhesion promoter, then plastic paint. I use the hi-tech brand plastic paint
I have done fender flares, vent shades, tow mirrors, handles, and plastic bumpers on many different trucks.

Heres how I did it:
1. Get Bulldog prep. It will clean off all oil, greese, and any wax you may have put on. The instructions are on the back...but you will need gloves and 3M scuff pads. DO NOT TOUCH the plastic once you wipe it dry.

2. Shoot it with Bulldog adhesion promoter. Wait for it to "flash" ( about 10min). Then a second coat and wait 15 to 20 min. (side note I had a bulldog rep demo this stuff to me.....he blew up a beach ball...sprayed promoter on...waited 10 min....took black spray paint and sprayed it over the promoter.......heat gunnned it for a few min....deflated the ball and I could move/bend it all around....never came off).

3. After the second coat....shoot your paint...It is important to shoot the paint with 20-30 min of the first coat. The promoter "opens" the plastic and really does make it tacky. So when the paint/plastic dries it is part of the plastic.

4. I always do three coats of paint

5. You can shoot clear over the paint....or you can do a single stage. works great either way.

Last note....if you want the plastic to have a smooth look. EI like a factory painted bumper. Shoot a high fill primer on after step two. Allow to dry and sand. Then you can paint because the primer is now part of the bumper.

hope that helped

1 - 18 of 18 Posts