Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting new orings on the injectors for my 97 and my 10yo daughter asked if she could help.

Makes a dad proud...getting her started at a young age!

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I need her help. Mike, my truck is at the dealer shop right now and tomorrow they will have an estimate for me for doing new glow plugs and injector orings, not to mention a new alternator, which is why I took it in today in the first place. I asked them what it would take to do a compression test and he said they have to pull the valve covers and glow plugs so I might want to spend the $1000 for new plugs. Since my truck goes through oil pretty good I asked if the glow plug work would be half way to doing the injectors orings? At that point he said he would work up an estimate for me.

Now I'm wondering if I should do glow plugs and injector orings myself? How much would it cost me to do GP's and orings, new valve cover gaskets, etc., vs. having Ford just do it? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You could probably do injector o rings and gp for $200. If you have any mechanical ability you should definitely do this yourself and save all that money. The vc gaskets are expensive but easy to change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No way! $200? Yes I am a mechanic but not on autos and have all the tools. Do I get all the parts from Ford? Thanks.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Pretty good chance that you need a GP relay and not GP's.... TEST em before replacing

If it turns out that it's the relay get the orings and relay from dieselorings.com

Total will be $107.78 with free shipping

If you really DO need GP's you're looking at 157.31 for orings n GP's

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. I don't need GP's at all. I was thinking about swapping them as preventative maintenance and since, apparently, they need to be removed to do compression test. I was going to have Ford replace the relay also as preventative.
however, at this point I'm convinced I will do it all myself.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
It doesn't HURT to change em... ur call.... do your own alternator too... in fact tell ford to piss off and save yourself $1000 or so

Prolly should start your own thread as we're hijacking Mike's thread now

·
Been there....... done it
183 Posts
I wish my wife would let me work at the kitchen table when it's cold out.. I told her I would put down cardboard, she just looked at me and then walked away.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish my wife would let me work at the kitchen table when it's cold out.. I told her I would put down cardboard, she just looked at me and then walked away.
Oh she doesn't like it. I get the usual smart a** comments. But she loves me, so...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts