Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 f350 supercab longbed 7.3 and dont like the way the front sags. From the top of the rear tire to the top of the fender well measures exactly 12". The front is 9" indicating that the rear sits 3" highr than the front. I would like to raise the front 4" so it will appear slightly higher. My questioin is what is the best way to obtain 4" of front lift only? Is this recomended and how will this look? what size tires will I fit. Any advise will be appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It's gunna look silly having the front higher than the rear. Put some 2" hangers on the front and call it good. You should be able to run 35's with this combo.

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
Get 4" Icon leafs. Will ride awesome and won't sag. Will fit 35" tires. Can always add a taller rear block if you don't like the stance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions. If I buy 4" springs, will I need any other componts to make it work (pitman arm ect...?), or do I just install the springs? If i do need additioinal parts, does anyone sell complete kits? If I could fit 35's with the 2" hangers, maybe I'll just go that route, depends on the cost of the 4" springs and instalation..Thanks again.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
Just going with 2" hanger and shackles will not compensate for the sagged springs. If you're lucky you'll be back to stock height when the truck was new.

Going with the 4" leafs, you'll need longer shocks, drop pitman arm, tracbar relocation bracket, sway bar end links, and bump stop spacers. Icon offers a kit with everything needed, and options for expansion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:postwhore2:I said "sagging" but I think its just the normal stance of the truck and dont think their is anything wrong with the springs really. I decided to just go with a 2.5 leveling kit. What is the best/ safeset way to go. I will be towing a 6500lb camper at times. Should I go with the shackle or spring pack? Are there pros and cons to each? Thank you in advance for your suggestion.
Joe.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
A shackle will retain the same ride just space out the spring and the frame. Not bad at all. A spring pack will firm up the ride and also get you the lift you want. A mini spring pack or mini pack will also get you the lift you're after and keep the ride somewhat similar. Personally, I would go with either the mini pack or shackle/hanger route.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You will need longer shocks with a hanger kit not when using a mini spring pack. You could also use factory X codes which for you would be the best solution as you would get additional 2" of lift and 800lbs additional carrying capacity.

Either way you will need a adj track bar to recenter the axle. We have everything you will need.

PM if we can help.

Cary

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will need longer shocks with a hanger kit not when using a mini spring pack. You could also use factory X codes which for you would be the best solution as you would get additional 2" of lift and 800lbs additional carrying capacity.

Either way you will need a adj track bar to recenter the axle. We have everything you will need.

PM if we can help.

Cary[/QU

Cary,

What is a factory x code?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The 99-04 Super Duties came with lots of different GVWRs so different springs with different spring rates were used to achieve this. I believe the X codes had the larger GVWR so they would ride a little higher than the others. Cary will clarify though.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just get the 4" springs and a front box kit that will come with everything you need minus brake lines. the shackle lift is definatly cheaper but the front axle walks a bit. with that setup 35's are easily acomplished but while towing your trailer it will look pretty goofy. and most people I've heard go that route run into problems with alignment. so me personally would do a 2" block in the rear. that should about level you out. Good luck

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
X codes are rated at 6000lbs vrs V codes 5200lbs

Hangers do not allow the axle to walk and brake lines are not needed untill you get much higher.

Alinement's never a problem on a leaf spring Ford.

3" hangers will allow 35" without problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do I know idf I have the factory "f" or "v" code? I do know that I have 4" blocks in the rear on top of what may be 2" blocks. Not sure if the rear was lifted or not, may be part of the "camper" package though. I apologize because i'm sort of new to this, but what does it mean if the axel "walks"?? And what lift walks....the shackle or the mini spring? Thanks again.

Joe

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
well I guess I'll stay out of this one I'm not here to step on anyones toes or piss anyone off so let the genius mastermind of flatlanding offroaders obswiz tell ya bout it. Not like I wouldnt no about beings that I've done a few including my own and also being from a place that has some of the nastiest terrain in the lower 48. I no what works what dont and why and why not but we'll let him tell ya

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Guess what..I also offroad..but not in a full size truckLOL

Joe, check your door sticker and it will tell you your spring codes.

V codes are fronts, F codes are rears and came on '05-07's You should have B codes..

You don't want to stack blocks..it wasn't that way from Ford so it sounds like someone added either a 2 or 4" block.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As i recall the F350 had the solid front axle, not the twin I beam BS, that is where you run into the major alignment problems, plus these truck did have the traction bars. The best way to accomplish lift is to add leaves or a leveling kit, and as for the back, you will want it about a 1/2in higher than the front, it will look alot better, and to get lift in the back just add leaf springs, that way you get lift and a stiffer towing rig, it will make the ride rougher, but you have a 1 ton already so how great can the ride be now. I know of a 1 ton that added 3 leaves in the back, one leaf in the front plus a leveling kit, it gave it about 4 inches, and he clears 35 with no problems at all, and tows a gooseneck trailer on a regular basis.

·
reds97
13 Posts
higher up front! just a little...u dont wanna look too much like one of us crazy californians... well i got smart and moved away... but i would go just a rch higher up front, and thank god u dont have an i beam front end...nightmare alignment

·
CLARKY
319 Posts
Listen to Cary he knows his chit!Last fall I switched from a 4in lift spring pack front leafs to SKY's 2in hanger kit with xcodes.What a diff!!! truck rides soooo much better.And also picked up some 5125's Bilsteins.The truck actually sits almost the same height as the 4in lift. Trust me you wont regret that combo, or just call cary.He will get ya straight.He's good people

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
Listen to Cary he knows his chit!Last fall I switched from a 4in lift spring pack front leafs to SKY's 2in hanger kit with xcodes.What a diff!!! truck rides soooo much better.And also picked up some 5125's Bilsteins.The truck actually sits almost the same height as the 4in lift. Trust me you wont regret that combo, or just call cary.He will get ya straight.He's good people
What brand were you running? There are so many options and some are overly firm, while others (Icon and Deaver) are plush and way better than any stock spring pack.

·
CLARKY
319 Posts
Procomp I believe.They were on truck when I bought it 4yrs ago.I found a partial tag on the springs when i took em out.The F-ed up thing was that there was 6 or 7 leaves in the pack!! I love the way it rides now.Now I just gotta get rid of the add a leaf in the rear now.So it rides more even.if that makes senceLOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts