Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got a nice deep Better Built diamond plate aluminum toolbox for free, and i wanna clean it up before i put it in the truck. It doesn't look like its ever been polished or really cleaned before. So its dull and has some light corrosion on it. I used some Mothers Powermetals Aluminum polish(works wonders on sleds) on a clean shop towel, and it gave it some shine back but there are still little corrosion spots on it. Not to mention the fact that it takes forever and the diamonds rip the crap out of the shop towel.

So whats the best way to clean it up? I want to get the thing to shine like crazy and have a mirror finish, but i also want the shine to last and be able to maintain it since we live in the land of snow and salt. Its just sitting in the garage and i'm not in a hurry to get it put in, so i have plenty of time to mess with it.

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
00 grade steel wool and some type of liquid metal polish, like diamond brite or white diamond . Works wonders on old diamond plate.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Brightest silver paint you can find. I hate polishing......

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive thought about getting steel wool, but wanted to see if there is any other methods.

And i don't like polishing, but i loooove the look of it. Plus if i polish it then give it a good wax, it should hold up for a while.

·
Registered
947 Posts
subscribed,

I got some MetalWax Tried it today with poor results, It came with outdoor carpet as an applicator and I only had one.. so I went to get more to give it one more try
We'll see how it turns out.. my 6 month old box already looks like chit so if this doesn't work I need to find a alternative.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used steel wool, then polished it with Mothers Powermetal polish and it worked great. But i spent an hour on one pretty small spot. Looks great, just gonna take me a while.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
we have some stuff that we use at the fire house on the diamond plate...its amazing...takes a little elbow greese but well worth it...il find out what it is called tonight...and post it up tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Well i got a nice deep Better Built diamond plate aluminum toolbox for free, and i wanna clean it up before i put it in the truck. It doesn't look like its ever been polished or really cleaned before. So its dull and has some light corrosion on it. I used some Mothers Powermetals Aluminum polish(works wonders on sleds) on a clean shop towel, and it gave it some shine back but there are still little corrosion spots on it. Not to mention the fact that it takes forever and the diamonds rip the crap out of the shop towel.

So whats the best way to clean it up? I want to get the thing to shine like crazy and have a mirror finish, but i also want the shine to last and be able to maintain it since we live in the land of snow and salt. Its just sitting in the garage and i'm not in a hurry to get it put in, so i have plenty of time to mess with it.
any truck stops,truck wash,or custom truck shops(semi's)in your area?if you can find someone that polishes semi wheels they can do it

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Yeah this:

Thats what I put in mine. Had the bright version kept it clean for a year and then hated it. Never again! If you already have one clean it real good and get it acid dipped, hit it with some self-etching primer, and then paint it!

I spent ten years of my lift polishing dp on trucks and my dads semi and my 6whlr for my pool company. Uggggh...no chrome wheels for me either..lol

There is no 'easy' way if thats what you're asking. Steel wool..then a cloth diaper is the best way...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
adams metal polish and two peaces of old carpet! one to put on one to take off!! works very well

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Use a cheap buffer, get some mothers aluminum polish or whatever you can get your hands on and go to town. It works great....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts