Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research awhile ago and it looked like the top choices for towing mirrors were the Grand Aero 3, and the McKesh towing mirrors. I was leaning towards getting the Grand Aero 3s.

I made a post at another forum, and West Coast style mirrors were suggested by some of the users: ford-trucks.com/forums/1512461-best-towing-mirrors-for-a-1995-f350.html

Where can I get the mirrors they're mentioning?

I did some searching and it looks like Velvac is a big name for RV towing mirrors. They get some mixed reviews though: rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27124705

I'll call Mill Supply tomorrow, and see what they have to say about towing mirrors for a 1995 F350, but also let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
IMO best setup is:

See what he did there? He used the smaller OBS / gen I ranger style stainless steel door mount that allows the mirror to fold back but he added the larger style OBS mirrors on the base mount. This is best of both worlds. I love my 97 tow mirrors but the tripod setup is a PITA because it does not fold or "break away' When truck in the shop you always have to walk around the huge stainless steel tripod assembly. Also when backing trailers at my dads house I get too close to the horse pasture fence and with no way to fold the mirror in the tripod basically ripped my door apart ruining the whole door, passenger door was already this way when I got the truck

So now I have two new doors I will be going to this style setup.

Also some OBS guys love these new style mirrors and have found some clever ways to mount them up....for me I like the older style on my OBS,they fit the body correctly and look era correct
Like this:

or even better this setup:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Factory gooseneck mirror hands down, I think they offer the best visibility, and they match the body style of the OBS trucks. I also personally think that of all the OBS style mirrors they are the best looking by far. And I just so happen to have a set for sale in the classifieds section. And no I am not just trying to sell you a set of mirrors. Although it probably seems like exactly just that...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I saw those for sale and if my wife didn't already buy me a new in box set for when I replace my doors I would be after yours....clean!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
IMO best setup is:

I like this setup. I ordered some mirrors from lmc and mounted them to my current 2 post frame. The mirrors vibrated like crazy and at high speed they would fold in. The mirrors were terrible quality. Now I'm back to the stock setup :frown:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I like the gooseneck mirror for a dually and hauling a box trailer.

But on a single wheel, they just dont look right.

I prefer the western swing-a-ways with 4-5" spot mirror as well

·
Registered
600 Posts
The truth-pod mirrors don't even stick out as far as the Nemo mirrors when folded to the inboard position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
410Customs, I like that setup. I want something that's not fixed. I don't want to take any chances with damaging the truck. Where can I get the parts to create that setup?

Schneider 86 I'll send you a PM. I may get those from you.

What are truth-pod mirrors? And are Nemo mirrors the factory ones on my truck?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
its a combo setup The stainless supports were stock on many OBS trucks, Rangers, Bronco II's etc
The upper mirror part comes from the tripod setups like the older OBS and duallys had. My 97 came with the tripod bases the new doors I have came from a FSB so they have the correct mounts. I will be using my mirrors on top of the fold away mounts = easy!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think Diabolic 1 meant "tri-pod" mirrors, not truth pod. When it comes to visibility and stability the factory gooseneck "tri pod" style mirrors beat the others hands down. Some people (myself included) love the looks of them. Some people think they look too "big rig" or heavy truck. One thing is for sure, while they are sturdy and they offer way bigger sight picture, they do not break away like the other 2 style factory mirrors. So if you hit your door on something and it catches the mirror, your door is gonna be screwed.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
both of my doors are now better at catching rain water then they are at being doors

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Somebody told me about these Chevy and Dodge mirror adapter plates for OBS Ford trucks.

I don't care how it looks. I want whatever's best for daily driving and hauling the truck camper.

Is 5280 Custom Fab the only company that makes these mirror adapters?

It looks like these are the 2 options from them:

www.5280customfab.com/products/copy-of-92-97-ford-f-series-bronco-mirror-adapter-plates-for-99-07-chevy-tow-mirrors

www.5280customfab.com/products/94-02-dodge-mirror-conversion-plates-for-92-97-ford-f-series-bronco

Both the Chevy and Dodge mirrors look like they can swing away, just in case I were to hit something, or something were to hit the truck.

But the Chevy mirrors look like they extend, and the Dodge mirrors look like they don't. Is that true?

Is there only 1 kind of 99-07 Chevy towing mirror, and 1 kind of 94-02 Dodge towing mirror to choose from?

I measured the camper today and it's around 8' 1" wide, so I think I should have mirrors that extend.

Let me know what you think would be best for my rig, thanks.

·
Native Texan
9,033 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The site says they're for 99-07 Chevy mirrors, so you'll probably want to confirm the 08 mirrors will work if you order from that company.

I personally don't care what the mirrors look like. Are the Dodge mirrors more functional for towing?

Somebody said this, "Chevy tow mirrors don't even look good on chevy trucks and they look even worse on an old Ford. Dodge mirrors, though I'm sure they can be useful, come with the baggage of all the cliches."

What does he mean by "cliches"? That Dodge is known for being unreliable? Does this unreliability really extend to the towing mirrors? Or is he just talking about the way they look?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Why go to all the hassle of welding when you can just install the Tri-Pod mirrors? They look correct, fit correct, do the job they were intended to do. When folded inward, they don't even protrude as far as the Nemo mirrors.

·
Native Texan
9,033 Posts
that was suppose to be the 07 mirriors it kept changing it to 08 for some reason. im still looking at the newer 16 mirrors cause u can get them.in power extend and power fold. but thats next year after i finish the trans in it.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone that hasn't caught fire yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the tripod mirrors were fixed and didn't fold in like 410customs was saying.

Somebody at another forum said, "Those two-point swing-way mirrors you usually see on the old 1/2 and 3/4 tons are not wide enough to see around a camper. It doesn’t matter what model camper you have, they’re all 8 feet wide."

If you put gooseneck mirrors on the 2 point mounts, will they be wide enough for an 8 foot wide truck camper?

I called Retrac, and didn't make much headway.

And I left a message at 5280 Custom Fab. How much bodywork and painting is involved if I go this route? Looks like I'd also need those plates to cover up the factory mirror mounts.

masakimm have you been in somebody's truck where they've installed these Dodge or Chevy mirrors? Somebody told me, "They also cause some obstructions and you might need to look around the passenger and wing window frame." I wonder how much of a pain that would be.

·
Registered
600 Posts
They don't fold away but the mirrors can be flipped in for day to day driving. Good luck getting ahold of that fab company. I left 3-4 messages in the past with no return call.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts