Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening nation,

I've decided to switch my truck over to full synthetic oil, and I was wondering what the opinions out there are the best brands. I hear a lot about Amsoil and Schaeffers, so some testimonials would be awesome. I'm switching to synthetic mainly for longevity reasons, I really believe its a lot better protection for the truck but does it actually increase performance? I hear a lot of people saying their trucks run smoother and accelerate stronger. Truth?

Also, what are the best filters out there? Are motorcrafts the best? I usually just use Fram because they are readily available and affordable.

Lecture me please :ford:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
scheaffers all the way.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
That's almost as bad ask asking "Who's the best tuner?" or "What's the best turbo?"

You are going to get 45 reponses with 35 different opinions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic in my engine ($19 gallon at wal-mart), Mobil1 ATF in my transmission and transfer case and Redline in my rear axle. Mainly based on price/availability in my local parts places.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
That's almost as bad ask asking "Who's the best tuner?" or "What's the best turbo?"

:whs:

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Mobil 1 oil filter.

i have been using 5-40 rotella synthetic, and have had good UOA's so no real complaints but it does get thin...

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
5 40 extream blue valvoline 19.99 a gallon at napa on sale this month!!

There is a ton of info in the fluids section about diff oils people are using

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually while I'm on the topic of oil, does anyone have a really good method of getting the oil out of the HPOP resevoir during an oil change? I don't know how many people change this during oil changes but I just use a pump lid from an old bottle but its pretty inefficient. Any good ideas out there?

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts

Well-said by Andy.

Search the fluids section and you'll find a lot of good info that will help you make a decision.

Not sure where you live, but one of the main reasons for changing to synthetic is improved cold-start performance. I'm not sure or convinced synthetic improves the lifespan of this motor. I have been very happy with my UOA on dino oil. FWIW, I decided not to change to syn because any marginal improvement in engine wear was not justified by the cost. If I lived further north I would think real hard about using it in the winter.

Best,
Jim

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Sluther: If U plan on switching to a Full Synthetic? Your choices are limited, too maybe a handfull of Brands and Viscositys. Companys that produce a true Full Synthetic Diesel Oil-->Ones that come to mind first are-->Amsoil-M1-Redline-BlueDiamond. There are other oils out there that claim to be a Full Synthetic, but since they are made up with GroupIII base stocks, they are not Full Synthetic... Full Synthetics use Group IV-V base oils... As well as PAO's. Do Synthetics protect you motor better? Normal driving conditions--I don't think they protect better. Now in extreme cold weather--I feel since synthetics pump faster at start up, they will protect better, unless you poured in a 5W-30 or 10W-30 dino oil... Then maybe the flow rate might be close. I also think synthetics handle heat better.

Here is my opinion-->I use Amsoil in everything except my motor... If I had a good quality oil by-pass system installed, I would probably use Amsoil or Schaeffers 5W-40 yr round.. and do UOA every 5K miles to control my OCI. This is just me... I live in a region where it gets just dam cold in the winter time. And My 7.3L starts so much easier and faster when I have 5W-40 poured in. Once I start pulling my 10Klb 5th wheel camper more often, I will probably switch to a Full Synthetic 5W-40 and add a by-pass system.
If U don't live in a cold region, nor you really work the truck hard? I would stick with a reg dino 15W-40 with 5K mile OCI. Also: Do the other so called synthetics protect as well as the actuall Full Synthetics? Maybe... The only tests that I have seen on this is the tests produced by Amsoil. The tests results are always so close, that I dought it really matters.
Once again if you want a true Full Synthetic--I would recommend-->M1-Amsoil-Redline. Schaeffers is right up there as well... But with respect to other oils.... In 90% of the cases... Reg Dino will lubricate and protect your investment just fine... Just Remember Keep it Clean! Don't skimp on Oil Filters. This needs to be moved to Fluids.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
The fastest way to change the HPOP oil. Start the motor. Bump the throttle pretty good. HPOP oil is changed. If you are worried about the HPOP oil, how about the oil in the oil rails. How about the oil in the cam shaft. How about the oil that is hiding in all the little crooks and nannys found throughtout your motor. If you really want to be sure to get all the oil. Jerk the motor out and dissamble for ever oil change.

Or just drain the oil every 5000 miles or so. Throw a new filter and 3.5 gallons of new oil in there and drive your truck.

BTW, stop listening to Powerstrokehelp.com guy.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SyN, thanks a lot for the response, thats exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. In the winter here it gets to -30C and -40C no problem so cold starts was definately something I was looking at.

BTW, stop listening to Powerstrokehelp.com guy.
I try to make a point of avoiding this guy, that's why I spend so much time on this forum. The only reason I asked is because the HPOP on my old truck was getting tired and wouldn't circulate oil as good as it should have. I could always tell a difference in the oil I pulled from the resevoir vs. the pan, so I just tried to get what I could out of the resevoir manually to help the pump out.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Some of those that claim to use only IV V POA use group III as the carrier for their additive package which can be up to 25% of the total volume. That has been one of the weakness of fully syn they do not hold additives well and thus the use of group III or even dino in some cases.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
The best synthetic oil is clean synthetic oil. So use whatever brand you will change the most often. Aren't you in Canada? Petro Canada has some good oil. I doubt you will find anything that works better than their stuff.

·
More Power Tim
81 Posts
The thing that I like about the synthetic oil is that is runs cleaner which means less build up on lubricated parts. Not a big deal in most cases but where there are tight tolerances I think it helps, like the injectors on the 6.0. Maybe I'm wrong, and would love to hear it if I am, but that's why I like it.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aren't you in Canada? Petro Canada has some good oil. I doubt you will find anything that works better than their stuff.
I didn't really know PetroCan was big in lubricants. I looked them up and their products seem pretty decent. Price seems competitive too. Maybe I'll give them a try, it will be readily available that's for sure.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
I didn't really know PetroCan was big in lubricants. I looked them up and their products seem pretty decent. Price seems competitive too. Maybe I'll give them a try, it will be readily available that's for sure.
There you go, never forget to take a good look at the girl next door.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually while I'm on the topic of oil, does anyone have a really good method of getting the oil out of the HPOP resevoir during an oil change? I don't know how many people change this during oil changes but I just use a pump lid from an old bottle but its pretty inefficient. Any good ideas out there?
McDonalds straw.LOL

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
It takes a good while for all that HPOP oil to circulate out thru the IPR. So if you take a look and its black in there after you change the oil and let it run for a few mins even with running up the rpms don't think it not being circulted out. It just takes some time. Check it after a days driving around and you will see.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts