Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some shocks ordered for my truck. I REALLY want to leave it at the stock height. There are lots more choices if I go up to a leveling kit, but I like it at the height its sitting at now.

Suggestions, ideas, pictures, or sources would be great.

And to be clear up front.... NO BILSTEINS WILL BE GOING ON MY TRUCK!!!! Been there, done that, hated them, and sold them lol.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tex; The tough thing about better shocks is they feel alot different (as in less harsh) after several thousand miles than they do early on and they usually stay that way for a long time. OEM and cheaper shocks will really ride great out of the box and then have you wishing for more control sometime down the road. About 6 months ago I gave away a high end set of sports car struts (lets call them brand "B"LOL) I couldn't stand the things, it felt like I was riding around on the bump-stops all the time. By the time I took them off they were getting kinda "OK". 8 months later I meet up with my buddy with whom I sent the shocks to at our yearly car get together and was astonished at how perfect the same struts were now...same car, same springs etc! Looking back at my truck shocks I remember feeling the same way, the nice brand B shocks I bought for it felt like they were going to eject me from the truck. I never bothered changing them because the truck has never really been my daily driver, but some months later, maybe a year, I started noticing what a nice ride and control my truck had!! I just got back from a 1000 mile trip with another car buddy of mine and he commented several times about how great my old leaf spring antique rode. Just my opinion...I was glad to post to this because you have always shared a bunch of interesting threads on this forum. Take Care, Berg

·
Nitro Fuel Addict
49 Posts
I run Monroe Reflex shocks on mine. They ride pretty well. My brother in law have them as well and really likes them too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I need to get some shocks ordered for my truck. I REALLY want to leave it at the stock height. There are lots more choices if I go up to a leveling kit, but I like it at the height its sitting at now.

Suggestions, ideas, pictures, or sources would be great.

And to be clear up front.... NO BILSTEINS WILL BE GOING ON MY TRUCK!!!! Been there, done that, hated them, and sold them lol.
my truck is at stock height and I am in need of new shocks. I was looking at the Bilsteins 5100s. Im curious to know why you hated Bilsteins.

The Top Gun Customz Black Ops shocks look interesting also but then a 2-3" kit is needed

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Nothing wrong with Bilsteins..if you get the correct ones..

You can get Pure Performance shocks for a stock SD..FYI Pure makes the Black Ops..same shocks just black.

We sell both if we can help.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
I just put on a set of Rancho 9000's. So far I am satisfied, but I don't have many miles on them. I guess if they get soft I will see how well the adjustment knob on them works.
The reason I went with them is because Autozone had them on a pretty good sale price a while back.
But then anything would have been better than the worn out set I had.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I blew the seals out of my adjustable RS9000s.

I know the OP doesn't want to hear this, but I think Bilstein makes the best shocks. You just need to get the right ones. Bilstein is the only company that advertises the damping values and one some shocks its adjustable.

In my mind, that is unbeatable.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I blew the seals out of my adjustable RS9000s.

I know the OP doesn't want to hear this, but I think Bilstein makes the best shocks. You just need to get the right ones. Bilstein is the only company that advertises the damping values and one some shocks its adjustable.

In my mind, that is unbeatable.
I ordered the "right ones" for my application, and they rode like a logging truck. My stock black bodies ride better than those Bilstein 5100's I ordered for my application. I don't feel like spending $175/set experimenting with different Bilsteins until I get the right ones. That's why my original post stated I'm not interested in Bilsteins. Several others I have talked to lately have had the same problem with their Bilsteins. Good marketing I guess lol.

·
Chachi
237 Posts
Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, i have those and love em, im leaving my truck stock height too and i think those are the best

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been talking to King, about to pull the trigger on these:

Except with the adjustable compression setting on the reservoir

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
What are they (model number) and how much are they ?

Are you going to use them on the front or the back or both ?

I like any shock that is adjustable.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are King OEM Replacement Series. What you see in the picture is about $2000 worth once you add tge adjustable compression settings, which is right around $500 just for that.

The fronts AE 25001-136a and the rears are 25001-171a. If you don't want the adjustable compression settings, just drop the "a" off of the end of the part number. You can go through King direct or Downsouth Motorsports - King Shocks - Fox Shocks - Bilstein Shocks is a big King dealer.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess my fat fingers typing on my IPhone caused a few typos lol

With compression adjustment:

Front 25001-136a
Rear 25001-171a

Without compression adjusters:

Front 25001-136
Rear 25001-171

·
Registered
114 Posts
I will be very interested on your feedback with the Kings. I started throwing the idea of doing a full air suspension so I can have a lifted truck but air down to fit in my garage. The kings would be less money, looks like a 2-3.5" lift and that would still fit in the garage

·
Registered
378 Posts
I havent asked the company Carli suspension yet if they would be willing to do it, but Ive thought about seeing if they are willing to put there valving and pistons in the shocks that you are looking at.

My reason for this is Carli sets up the shocks for the leafs that are on the truck, atleast the rear anyways. If King valves the shocks the same for all year trucks there is no way your going to have the best riding truck.

After personally switching from factory 02 leafs to factory 2011 leafs, the newer leafs are soooo much smoother, and they need more dampening just to keep the truck from riding like a boat. My truck does have some weight in the bed though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I havent asked the company Carli suspension yet if they would be willing to do it, but Ive thought about seeing if they are willing to put there valving and pistons in the shocks that you are looking at.

My reason for this is Carli sets up the shocks for the leafs that are on the truck, atleast the rear anyways. If King valves the shocks the same for all year trucks there is no way your going to have the best riding truck.

After personally switching from factory 02 leafs to factory 2011 leafs, the newer leafs are soooo much smoother, and they need more dampening just to keep the truck from riding like a boat. My truck does have some weight in the bed though.
Aaron you did the 11 spring conversion? Very cool what did you pay for the spings if you dont mind me asking? I found a set of 08 springs for $150 and I was considering the 11 springs. The problem i have is after i did the 06 Conversion to the front end you really feel the stiffness of the 5 inch Deavers

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I spoke with Sage over at Carli, got some good info from him. He is really putting a lot into Superduty stuff. I went from 05 leafs to 08 to the 2011's I just put on. I agree, the 2011 leafs ride awesome but definitely need some shocks for them. I'm also talking to Trevor about his shocks. Definitely will be pulling the trigger on something ASAP.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I finally pulled the trigger. I have run ICON exclusively on my truck at every level its been at. I was wanting to run ICON 2.5" Piggyback Shocks but couldn't find any shocks to work for stock height. The fronts (6-7700) would work but the rears (3-7701)were just too long. The rears were listed as:

20.66" compressed
35.00" extended

My truck sitting at stock height measures 22". So if I were to run the 3-7701's I would only have a little over 1" until full compression which wouldn't work. Mike over at Poly Performance contacted ICON and found out that they do have a new model out that isn't on their website yet. The new model (3-7705) is made for 0"-2" of lift and shows:

18.625" compressed
31.000" extended

Works out perfect for what I need. So a couple of keystrokes and they were mine. Will take a couple of weeks to build (unless SEMA pushes that back) and then they will be headed my way!! Cant wait to try them out.

ICON 2.5" Piggybacks (shocks only, no leveling kit)

Just like the ones Jesse and Josh put on theirs. Here is how they look on Jesse's truck:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am going to assume these will be the same cost as the other icon 2.5 piggybacks?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts