Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best replacement head light bulbs for a 05 f250?hella,silverstar ultra,piaa....is any one running these and have some advice.or should i just stick to my stocks?thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Silverstars put out more light than the factory bulbs and are easy to find.
Nice white color too.
Sylvania bulbs in general have worked best for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well not to argue with your input,but i bought a set of silverstar ultras and put them in my truck and couldnt tell a difference between what i had a lil more white but not really brighter :/.i bought the truck with the bulbs that are in it and maybe they are already silverstars but not the ultras.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used the Silverstars (not the Ultra) and they put out about the same brightness, but they were more white than stock bulbs so it was an improvement.

Don't use Piaa lights, they are higher power and the 9008/H13 socket can overheat because the contacts are too small.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats about the same way i felt with the silver stars i dont know if the two heads and the two fog lights were worth the $100 i spent on them to just be more white.thats good advice with the piaa's i would think they would have made them safe for the factory harness but havent reasearched them enough.is there any others that you know of that will be more white and brighter and still legal?how about the bright box?do u know how that works?

·
Registered
377 Posts
For how much they cost, they arent worth it. Don't buy piaa ultra white extreme. They are awful

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The problem is not the bulbs. It is the wiring. You need a headlight harness. You are not getting 14v at the bulb with the factory setup. The cost issue is you will spend more on this and the bulbs than buying a HID kit from Retro and will still have less light output. Even with the harness and better bulbs you might still have plug issues with the bulb, I did and switching to Retro's kit was the best thing i did.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yall ever have problems with cops when u have hids?thats what i was trying to avoid

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could possibly try one of these projector retrofit kits. They won't bug the cops and you will be able to see very well.
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-453/H13-9008-BIXENON-RETROFIT/Detail
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Other than that I would probably try something like Amazon.com: HELLA H71071052 H13 9008 12V 100/80W Xenon White XB Bulb (2): Automotive with a relay harness. They are about the same price as the silverstars but are a higher wattage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright thanks guys for all the info i will make my choice and let yall know how it turns out soon

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My advice on keeping the cops away is to use a 4300-4500 bulb. This is white with NO hint of blue. It looks just a little whiter than the factory fog lights. Its a dead give away when the cop sees blue in the headlight and the fogs look yellow in comparison.
Also you need to adjust them down slightly so they project on the ground.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I run silverstars in all my rigs. 80% or more of my driving is at night.

If you need more light then a set of silverstarts put out, you should get your eyes checked... Honestly.

·
I love you bigrpowr!
1,181 Posts

If you need more light then a set of silverstarts put out, you should get your eyes checked...
The light output and visibility between my Silverstar bulbs in my truck and the HID's in my Audi are night and day. The HID's are so much nicer. Some of that has to do with the Audi having a projector lens.

As nevrnf stated do not get anything above 5700. Sunlight is around 5800 and most normal icandescents are around 4500 which is a warm color. The warm colors make things look more vibrant in color. When you get into the 7000 range, you get lots of blues and pinks which wash everything out and cause glare.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

If you need more light then a set of silverstarts put out, you should get your eyes checked... Honestly.
I never once said I "need" more light than silver stars put out I said for the amount they put out and the little bit more white they aren't worth the money.befor you try to insult me u should get your eyes checked and carefully read the post....honestly

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
I have the silverstar ultras in mine with the upgraded harnesses and am very happy with them.

I installed one silverstar and compared...brighter than regular
then I installed upgraded harness to one silverstar and stock plug to other silverstar....brighter with harness

then last night i installed retro's 55w 6k hid in my buddys silverado...now im debating

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
i like the silverstar ultra bright series or w.e they are called. The top of the line they are around 40-50 bucks a set. IMO it makes a big difference . They are supposly the brightest etc that silverstar makes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are the silverstar's everyone is using are they 55w? I saw some 100w bulbs should I stay away from the 100w?

Mike

:ford:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts