Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Ford Forever
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning guys,

I am looking for the best remote start/alarm. After searching around google and the "other" site, I heard a lot of good things about AstroStart. I really want something reliable and that has great distance. AstroStart is claiming over a mile range. You can also set the time that you want your glowplugs to run. Does anyone have any experience with them? Will the unit wait the full time for the glowplugs to run, before cold starting?

Thanks in advance for you help.:psn:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
im running the clifford 50.7x and it has up to or over a mile range and i really like it the remote is re chargable and not much bigger than the ford key fob that comes with your keys with thier remote entry so i would deff suggest a clifford or a viper brand as both are made by the same people and have alot of the same features

·
Ford Forever
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im running the clifford 50.7x and it has up to or over a mile range and i really like it the remote is re chargable and not much bigger than the ford key fob that comes with your keys with thier remote entry so i would deff suggest a clifford or a viper brand as both are made by the same people and have alot of the same features

Thanks Buddy, Does it have the turbo timer feature?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
yes mine has feature that allows the glow plugs to heat up before starting and you can tell it how long to run as well with out the key

mine is set to delay the start 45 seconds for the glow plugs and will acutally run before i put the key in to turn on off the remote start for 30 minutes

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got the Autopage c3-rs1100 and I think it is the best! I also own a clifford and a python and can say no bad about them. I will say that the Autopage is MUCH cheaper and is the most flexible alarm system I have seen. I have been a car audio hobbyst for 20 years and I am no pro installer, but the C3 system is five times more functional and flexible than the DEI product. The Autpage top alarm system can be had for less than $250 online with a warranty and installed by a COMPETENT installer for about $200 more.

PLEASE HEAR THIS: Your alarm is ONLY as good as your installer! This is the whole truth about alarms.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I have autostart, it's been very good, make sure you get 2-way communication

·
Ford Forever
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the Turbo timer feature? Are any of you using this? What range are you seeing from the clifford? Do any of our sponsors carry the product?

Sorry for the questions..
Thanks guys

·
Registered
480 Posts
Dont have anything good to say about the astrostart. Had one in our car a few years back and it was nothing but troubles. In 4 years we went through 4 remotes, 2 brains, 4 hood pins, and god knows what else. It was nothing but a pc of junk. Maby the newer stuff is better.

·
Banning Smut
19,093 Posts
I've got the Autopage c3-rs1100 and I think it is the best! I also own a clifford and a python and can say no bad about them. I will say that the Autopage is MUCH cheaper and is the most flexible alarm system I have seen. I have been a car audio hobbyst for 20 years and I am no pro installer, but the C3 system is five times more functional and flexible than the DEI product. The Autpage top alarm system can be had for less than $250 online with a warranty and installed by a COMPETENT installer for about $200 more.

PLEASE HEAR THIS: Your alarm is ONLY as good as your installer! This is the whole truth about alarms.
I've been looking at that model Autopage for a couple weeks now. 450 installed sounded good to me for alarm and remote start...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have an Astro Start it is the best one i have had!! I can set it so the glow plugs warm up twice before cranking!!!

·
Military Member
309 Posts
I have a Viper 5901 on my truck, an AutoPage C3-RS665 in my wifes Truck, An Autopage C3-RS727A in a buddy's car and had a Prestige APS-996A in my Sport Trac... I have nothing bad to say about any of these alarms. I will say that BY FAR the Viper has a longer range than the others. I was an installer for 11 years before working for a manufacturer in the Mobile audio industry. I'm impressed with the viper. I have installed about 5 of the new Compustar units for friends and they are not my favorite. If i was to do it again i would go back with the Viper 5901.

The 5901 has a WTS input and turbo timer mode as well. I don't use the turbo timer mode but have my WTS set to 7 seconds in the summer and 10 secs in the winter. The above poster was correct when he said that your alarm is only as good as your installer. If you are scared of doing it let a certified professional do it. I currently am MECP certified. Again the above is just my opinion.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a Viper 5901 on my truck, an AutoPage C3-RS665 in my wifes Truck, An Autopage C3-RS727A in a buddy's car and had a Prestige APS-996A in my Sport Trac... I have nothing bad to say about any of these alarms. I will say that BY FAR the Viper has a longer range than the others. I was an installer for 11 years before working for a manufacturer in the Mobile audio industry. I'm impressed with the viper. I have installed about 5 of the new Compustar units for friends and they are not my favorite. If i was to do it again i would go back with the Viper 5901.

The 5901 has a WTS input and turbo timer mode as well. I don't use the turbo timer mode but have my WTS set to 7 seconds in the summer and 10 secs in the winter. The above poster was correct when he said that your alarm is only as good as your installer. If you are scared of doing it let a certified professional do it. I currently am MECP certified. Again the above is just my opinion.
I just ordered a python 991 for the wifes 01 expedition and gonna order a responder one for my 09 accord. Any chance you can get some install directions off directeddealers? I've found everything i neded to wire off the12volt.com but it would be nice to have the actual instructions. There is no way the 17yr kid at best by is gonna touch the wiring on my car

The instructions that come with it are horrible at best! i build panels, install robots and program PLC's, so wiring is not an issue but the way they word stuff is hilarious what the hell is a (-)input:doh: i know they mean NPN but cmon

·
Military Member
309 Posts
HAHA i have an E.E. Degree and worked with a bunch of PLC's in college. This things are neato to put it mildly. The alarm is essentially nothing more than a 12v based PLC.

Here is a link i found. you shouldn't need more than that.

Login User

A (-) Input is basically a negative 12v input or ground input. most triggers on the vehicle (door, hood, trunk) are negative throw. you will normally only use either the positive input out the neg input for the trigger source. If you have any specific questions ill try to help the best i can.

·
Registered
675 Posts
HAHA i have an E.E. Degree and worked with a bunch of PLC's in college. This things are neato to put it mildly. The alarm is essentially nothing more than a 12v based PLC.

Here is a link i found. you shouldn't need more than that.

Login User

A (-) Input is basically a negative 12v input or ground input. most triggers on the vehicle (door, hood, trunk) are negative throw. you will normally only use either the positive input out the neg input for the trigger source. If you have any specific questions ill try to help the best i can.
Thanks, i've already been to the12volt.com (which is an awesome site) i was just wanting the vehichle specific install directions off DEI's site. I know what sinking and sourcing are just thought it was funny how they worded it. I'll hit you up if i have any questions

·
Military Member
309 Posts
You need the vehicle wire diagram sheet? That tells you all the colors for the wires?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts