Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a new portable GPS to use in the EX. I have read lots of reviews on these units and seems like all have problems, very confusing.Looking at Garmin 885T 1490T and 1690, TOMTOM 930T and Megellan maestro 4700. Any suggestions.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Ive got the tomtom 720 and love it. No problems at all. But gps's seem to be one of those things that everyones gps is the best so getting a non bias'd opinion out of folks is pretty hard. Ive read so many different reviews and opinions I cant even recommend one to you based on what Ive read.

Ive never owned any other gps's to compare my 720 to in real life usage.

But from what I can gather from reading up on them each has its strengths and weaknesses based on what map source they use. Garmin and Tomtom use different mapping companies.

So you really need to find what works best in your area or in the areas you travel most in.

Sorry Im not more help but I figured being honest about it was better than just going on about how much I like my particular gps vs such and such brand.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a Garmin nuvi and it works really well. I travel alot for work and the only place that it didn't do very well was Houston i think (could have been San antonio) where they have lots of those access roads that run parallel to the interstate and the gps kept getting confused as to which one i was actually on but I could still figure it out. My buddy has a tom tom and it seems to be pretty good too. Seems like they all get out of date pretty quick, like if a new road is put in or if a road changes or something but you can buy updates for them.

·
Aint going anywhere fast
3,258 Posts
Garmin nuvi...I love it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the Garmin 885T Nuvi as well. It works well but what I found with the voice commands and the Bluetooth was the truck makes too much noise and renders it useless unless you yell right up close to the unit. Makes you look like an idiot yelling at your GPS. The rest of it works well with the FM transmitter to play the voice and music over the FM radio.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have got the Megellan maestro 4700. Works great and seems to have most of the new roads by my house. Never gets confused as to which road it is on and has TONS of gas stations, banks, ect. stored in it.

The only issue I have had is searching for nearby "points of interest". One time I searched for a bank, and it took me into residential housing:shrug: This exact same thing happened once before when I searched for a nearby gas station, I ended up in a residential area againLOL

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I have a Garmin but it is about 4 years old now and I am to the point of throwing that bi*ch out the window when I am driving down the road. Buddy of mine just got maps and street on a USB driver and he said that thing is far better the any GPS. But you have to have a laptop setup in your truck for that.

Time for me to up grade I think.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had Streets and Trips with a laptop for a while as well. I found several issues with it that made me want to switch. The biggest issue was that if you made a wrong turn, it would just tell you that you were off route. It had no recalculate capacity to get you back on track. It also had a bad habit of crashing just when you needed it most. I would have to relaunch on average of 3 times a trip. Was never able to determine what caused it to lock up.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I like Garmin's stuff. I have a Nuvi 750 for the truck, and a Garmin Legend hcx for Canoeing the everglades. Both work perfectly. Right now Garmin has lifetime updates for a $120.

I like Garmin's software flow, I makes sense to me.... If you know what I mean..

nMaps Lifetime

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
Have a GarmIn. That SOB has taken me down some cow paths , but always seems to get you there. has worked well 100% of the time.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
I am hoping to have one of those sometime soon:D

I have used a Garmin and a Tom Tom and they were both great. No complaints at all.
You will see a review on this unit sometime over the next week or two. Its only been out about a month or so.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 1300. Its seems to be a good unit and I like the screen size and portability. I has a lot of features, but my favorite is the POI. You can download points of interest on it. For example, I have all of the redlight cameras and speedtraps loaded on it. It gives me warnings when I getting close to one.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 1300. Its seems to be a good unit and I like the screen size and portability. I has a lot of features, but my favorite is the POI. You can download points of interest on it. For example, I have all of the redlight cameras and speedtraps loaded on it. It gives me warnings when I getting close to one.
Does it map good in the Bridge City and Orange area? My step son just moved down there and is needing a GPS.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes, it maps just fine in this area.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Cool, thanks. Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had a TomTom and it locked up after updating the map. I messed with it for several hours and then went and bought a Garmin Nuvi 255W ( I was leaving on a trip the next day and wanted a working GPS)
Once I returned home called TomTom and spent two hours on the phone with tech support. The final fix was reformat the device and download all Operating system and maps. It wasn't a difficult fix but it made me lose confidence in TomTom.

The Nuvi is faster at updating position and has a better screen resolution and glare resistance, I like the Nuvis mount system better than the TomTom. The Nuvi cost $100 more than the TomTom and in fairness my TomTom was the 300 wich is the cheapest model.

Things I didn't like on the Tomom, It had glare problems that made it very difficult to see the screen in direct sunlight. The lock up issue only happened once but it was a PIA.
The TomTom had more toys that you can download to customise the unit to your liking.

The TomTom will show more data on the screen up to eight different things can be posted. At some point more data is not better, it just clutters up the screen.

I like the TomTom POI system better and it can really be easily configured to show you anything you want.
TomTom makes it easy to post changes and tons of folks develop apps that you can use for free.
For example in POIs you can download every strip clup in Florida, or every military base location nationwide. Garmin POI's are less flexible.

The Nuvi shows the map,speed,eta and distance to turn.

Both units have told me to turn when there was no road out in the sticks. But overall both get me where I want to go.
Either unit works much better than the installed Nav unit on my 08 GL320's.
Get the bigger screen, it makes things easier to read and will transfer better between vehicles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts