Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, coming up my oil change and I was wondering if there was a "Best" oil filter to be using.
I've running KNN oil filters for about 60,000 miles now and they seem to be doing an ok job(oil analysis is normal), but I am curious if there is somehing better??

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
i run original equipment FL1995 get them by the case threw geno's garage or you can get them at walmart sometimes for like 10.95.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do those filter pretty good?

The reason i'm asking is because ever since i've had the truck I changed the oil every 3,000 miles (or less) and use 15W40 Rotella.
This next oil change i was thinking about switching to a synthetic and extending to 5,000 miles, since i got my new job its all highway miles now, but looking for an oil filter that will last that long and not loose its ablity to filter.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Do those filter pretty good?

The reason i'm asking is because ever since i've had the truck I changed the oil every 3,000 miles (or less) and use 15W40 Rotella.
This next oil change i was thinking about switching to a synthetic and extending to 5,000 miles, since i got my new job its all highway miles now, but looking for an oil filter that will last that long and not loose its ablity to filter.
I've been known to go 8k (I was busy...alright!) on my FL1995 and Rotella synthetic. However, I don't have an analysis of anything.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
i use the FL1995 also and use Rotella 15W40 and change it every 5,000 miles religiously. Never had a problem, but never had an oil analysis either

·
Banned
1,822 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
I also run the FL1995 and 15W40 oil. Only my 2nd oil change since I bought it. But the first was with Motorcraft 15W40 superduty oil and FL1995 filter. Went 5200 miles and did a oil analysis. Blackstone said the filter did exceptional and the oil looked good. Using the same filter but switched to Rotella 15W40 this time.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
to be honest I think that is one part of a superduty that hasn't been beat on
I can't recall anyone saying this oil filter xxx is pooh...

now airfilters, oil types, turbos trannies etc...total pandemonium

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I wounder what Jiffy Lube puts in her...

·
917 Posts
I run motorcraft filters and on ocassion have used a fleetguard I think i's # LF3630. I run RotellaT in 15W40 I have run others but my truck seems to like the rotella best.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like i'll be giving the FL1995 a try.

·
Registered
517 Posts
these are by far the best but 25 bucks a piece
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/en/products/en_prod_inn_venturi.shtml
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/972957.pdf

on a side note id love to find a way to run one of these as a fuel filteration system my tractor has one of these sweet setup http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/en/products/en_prod_inn_fuelpro.shtml
I used a few of those filter but when I finally tracked down their micron ratings they were no very good. 30 micron absolute and 10 micron at 50%. All other PSD filters I have seen are 20 micron absolute. Needless to say for the cost of those filters I sold the rest of the case at a loss.

I use Wix/Napa Gold gold in my truck. Great filters.

For some great info on oil and filters see here
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I will buy my oil from Walmart, but not my filters.

Do your own test. Buy a filter from Walmart, go down and buy the same exact filter from Napa or O'Reilly's.

Throw them on a scale. Betcha the one from Walmart weighs less.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts

Do your own test. Buy a filter from Walmart, go down and buy the same exact filter from Napa or O'Reilly's.

[Throw them on a scale. Betcha the one from Walmart weighs less].
Thats funny I do the same thing when I change my oil, pull the filter, drain the oil and compare it to the new one to get an idea of how much dirt is in it. I,ve been using Moble 1 filters here lately and I like them , seem like they do a good job. I used some puralators and found they would loosin up and seep, I went to the Moble 1's and never had a problem again.

Dan

·
Registered
403 Posts

What does that test prove?

Thats funny I do the same thing when I change my oil, pull the filter, drain the oil and compare it to the new one to get an idea of how much dirt is in it. I,ve been using Moble 1 filters here lately and I like them , seem like they do a good job. I used some puralators and found they would loosin up and seep, I went to the Moble 1's and never had a problem again.

Dan
Have you taken into consideration the fact that the old filter is saturated with oil?

The best single pass filters are the Fleetguards LF3794 or better LF9027, both use stratapore material.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The best single pass filters are the Fleetguards LF3794 or better LF9027, both use stratapore material.
The best single pass filter may be a new kid on the block from (he cringes as he types) Amsoil. Yes Amsoil. They have introduced a new microglass filter that has remarkable spec and even more remarkable, their competitors agree. Check out the EAO99 posts on BITOG.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I use the fl 1995 and the small cat oil filter for a 3406b .

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

Are you saying this is the case on a Motorcraft filter?

Tom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts