Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing or are they all crap any more?

I have a airex in the truck currently and the fuel pressure is all over the place.

A friend of mine had his 19 year old pump go out and put a OEM Motorcraft one in only to have it fail in less than a year and now the replacement just took a crap too.

I know what you are going to say, go E-fuel. Bu they is just a stock truck. Just looking for reliability

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I’ve always had good service from Carter products. I believe they make the original equipment. M61067 is the part number I believe...
Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Is there such a thing or are they all crap any more?

I have a airex in the truck currently and the fuel pressure is all over the place.

A friend of mine had his 19 year old pump go out and put a OEM Motorcraft one in only to have it fail in less than a year and now the replacement just took a crap too.

I know what you are going to say, go E-fuel. Bu they is just a stock truck. Just looking for reliability
All my trucks get e fuel sooner or later, just doing Tan truck now... thing is on mine all the fuel leaks (4th truck now), can be attributed to mechanical pump, or stock fuel bowl. Typically as preventative maintenance they get switched over, in that way I can take my time to DIY a system. Using stock 7.3 E fuel pump, is the easiest. Usually I build a fuel module with pre pump filter, pump, post pump filter and hang inside frame rail between front tank and transfer case. Remainder is in e fuel build threads. I use Donaldson P558000 pre pump, Cat 1R-750 post pump, Aeromotive 1000 regulator.
Results are worth the effort I think, smoother idle and with stock to mild injectors full power to red line, doesn’t fall off above 2700 rpm.

Is it a pain.... mmmm not as much as redoing stock system and my cobbled together systems have ran thousands of KMs with out a hitch, for me reliability is E fuel.
Cheers,
j

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had a carter pump last less than 6 months before it sent debris into the regulator. Thankfully the injectors were ok. E fuel all the way. Its also much easier to change a E pump than the mechanical.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have read that all the mechanical 7.3 pumps are made by the same manufacturer (Carter?) and sold under various labels. I cannot verify that is true, but it is a somewhat common assertion.

Although some mechanical pumps might fail prematurely, as is true with any man-made device, the mechanical pump has generally proven to be very reliable and effective. It's funny to read on some Cummins forums that aftermarket mechanical pumps are all the rage, considered by many to be more reliable and effective than the factory's electric pumps.

The grass is always greener....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts