Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 05 6.0 stock exhaust and intake. I have a the new sct tuner with the tunes that come with it. would there be a noticeable difference in custom head bolt tunes from tuners that would be worth spending the cash on and if so wich tune would you guys recommend?

·
Beach Dweller
3 Posts
I have stock head bolts (exhaust is not stock) I and highly recommend Nate at WPE for his White Noise HB tune or Chris at TSD for his MPD tune. Both tunes will really wake up your truck

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
There is no tune that is head bolt safe when these trucks blow head gaskets with no tuning, your right foot is the head bolt tune.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
There is no tune that is head bolt safe when these trucks blow head gaskets with no tuning, your right foot is the head bolt tune.
Agreed 100%. Best stock truck tune is factory programming, and you not being an idiot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As soon as you tune it with headbolts its just a matter of time. Its not a matter of "If" it will blow a HG, but a matter of "When." Ive seen trucks blow HG's within weeks after they tuned it, and others last years. Not trying to sound like a negative person just letting you know the probable outcome. just be prepared to do gaskets and studs when the time comes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I will be the exception not the rule here. My truck has right at 280k on the ODometer with the last 150,000 owned by me. The truck had a clean oasis report from Ford when I bought it and no issues. Within days of purchase (around 2010) I put an edge evolution programmer on it, new oil cooler, egr delete and coolant filter. Over the last few years I have added lift, 37" tires, intake, 4" turbo back, water meth injection with 16gph nozzle and 50/50 mix, MTW stage one turbo, converted the Edge to a FICM tuner running on Hercules level tune, 140x extreme tune from PHP and a few other non performance related goodies. I have towed with it many times, beat the brakes off of it, red lined it many times, burn outs, had it up to 142 mph, 4 wheel high launches ....you name it I have done it with the expectation that "this mod will break it". To date the heads, bolts, trans all that are stock. I recently blew out the radiator and are in process of the filling mods that will be completed Friday. 175/30 injectors, new tunes, mishimoto radiator, gogo shift kit, stop tech rotors and hawks pads, regulated return from Martys Diesel and all fluids down to the duffs changed out. I shooting for 600hp as that I have done 430 rear wheel up with stock sticks and no water meth. The truck is not a daily driver so if it blows no biggie and I have a spare motor that can get built and put in.

I say all that to say this. Put some money in the bank and be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. You could go thousands of miles with no problems so why fix what isn't broke.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh also doing the CCV mod, updated turbo drain back tube, mbrp up pipes since mine cracked and banjo bolts from 6.4l. It may go boom on the first run but hey after 5 years and 150k what do I have to complain about.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
You are definitely the exception, as what you've experienced is rare at best.

I went 30k on mine tuned with a street tune before it popped. Never really drove it hard though. Now, since doing all the current mods.....it gets "driven". LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts