Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
dut221
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I ran a 13.44 at the strip this weekend with a really slow reaction of .488. Anyways I didn't think of starting off in third until afterwards. Do you guys start off in drive or 3rd at the strip? I was thinkin third would be alot quicker since less shifting... What Yu think?

Stock rear 3.73 I believe and built 1600 stall trans..

·
dut221
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R/t- .485
60'- 1.814
1/8th - 8.578
1/4 - 13.492 at 98.5

So the clock doesn't start until you leave the line no matter how late you the reaction time is?

I was on extreme street.

Boosted at 20-25lbs

Truck took a break at 60-70 mph and went to idle for a good second or two I had dead pedal.. Then she came back to life and took back off.. Any ideas what that'd be? Overboost?

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
R/t- .485
60'- 1.814
1/8th - 8.578
1/4 - 13.492 at 98.5

So the clock doesn't start until you leave the line no matter how late you the reaction time is?

I was on extreme street.

Boosted at 20-25lbs

Truck took a break at 60-70 mph and went to idle for a good second or two I had dead pedal.. Then she came back to life and took back off.. Any ideas what that'd be? Overboost?
No, the RT is only going to hurt you in a heads up race. It doesn't affect your time.

You can get that 60 foot a little quicker and drop the ET down closer to a 13.00. I'm assuming the "Extreme Street" file you have is a 250-275 horsepower rated tune. Low 13's is pretty common for that. I know a few people have ran in the 13.2-13.4 range with our 275 tune over the years. It takes a 300+ tune to get you into the 12's.

I wouldn't boost more than 18-20 lbs unless you have the truck setup to handle that kind of launch.

I also spun a lil bit at start should dropped pressure. I ran at full weight. Anybody else take off n 3rd?
I've never heard of people launching in 3rd gear (successfully) with an automatic transmission while racing and I've been around diesel performance for awhile now. I had well over 100 passes in my old 6.4L and always allowed the transmission tuning to do what it was supposed to do.

·
dut221
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well I believe sct's extreme x tune is a 330 tune but might be a 310? So that should put me in the 12's... And ya I'll boost under 20 until I get my trac bars and 4 link. But I didn't have the slightest wheel hop eithr pass which I was surprised by

·
Powerstroke Veteran
21 Posts
I'm kind of new to drag racing so my question would be: why on earth would you launch an 8,000 pound truck in third gear? Isn't that just a TAD BAD for the trans? Wouldn't you have better times using all the available torque of the lower gears? My 2013 Crew cab loaded with tools and a 400 lb. cap on the back weighs in just under 10,000 lbs. is doing 14.3 @ 95mph so if there's some kind of SAFE trick for launching I would like to know. My times are in 4x4 high which I'm sure can't be good for the transfer case. Am I right?

·
dut221
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm kind of new to drag racing so my question would be: why on earth would you launch an 8,000 pound truck in third gear? Isn't that just a TAD BAD for the trans? Wouldn't you have better times using all the available torque of the lower gears? My 2013 Crew cab loaded with tools and a 400 lb. cap on the back weighs in just under 10,000 lbs. is doing 14.3 @ 95mph so if there's some kind of SAFE trick for launching I would like to know. My times are in 4x4 high which I'm sure can't be good for the transfer case. Am I right?
I'm new to it as well.. With a diesel truck anyways.. So I was just wondering about third because it would be less shifting which takes longer but doesn't look like I'll do that.. And I only have a standard cab long bed guessing around the 8000 lb range. And yes a boosted launch in 4x4 could do some damage but its usually to your transmission before your transfer case. Unless you have a lowered truck with big rear slicks then your gonna wanna use 4high.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Standard cab? Is that an extended cab or regular cab? CC/SB's typically weigh 8200 lbs. I got mine down to 7600 lbs with me in it though.

You want to use 4wd if you have it available. It's stressful on certain parts, yes, but it's not so much stress that parts break regularly. Driveline parts take a lot of abuse on these trucks and everything seems to hold up well. Like I said previously, I had over 100 problem free passes at the track. All launches were in 4wd high.

·
dut221
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Standard cab? Is that an extended cab or regular cab? CC/SB's typically weigh 8200 lbs. I got mine down to 7600 lbs with me in it though.

You want to use 4wd if you have it available. It's stressful on certain parts, yes, but it's not so much stress that parts break regularly. Driveline parts take a lot of abuse on these trucks and everything seems to hold up well. Like I said previously, I had over 100 problem free passes at the track. All launches were in 4wd high.
Mine is a sclb, I'll be dropping everything i can, spare and tailgate and even passenger seat b4 I go back again. Not sure what weight I'll b around then?

·
Registered
739 Posts
12-12.5 is deffinally possible on stock fuel and factory charger. With tuning and a little liquid intercooler. It's deffinally possible. Just make sure your trans is learned enough to keep up to that driving style. That was my biggest downfall at the the drag strip. I would drive my truck easy until then. Then it hurt me.

My truck went 13.1 on just tunes and deletes lifted on 38s on 24s. Anything can happen just have to have the weather and the truck cooperate.

·
dut221
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome thanks nick I guess I'll drive on my biggest hp file (sct extreme X) with race lock or early lock (haven't decided) about a week b4 I go to drag strip again. and I'll take some WOT county cruises the day b4 lol.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Mine is a sclb, I'll be dropping everything i can, spare and tailgate and even passenger seat b4 I go back again. Not sure what weight I'll b around then?
So it's an extended cab with a long bed? You should be able to get that down to 7500 lbs if I could get a crew cab down to 7600 lbs.

I'm looking for 12-12.5. Not sure if It can be done with stock fuel and chargers though?
Definitely possible. I ran 12.5 consistently with bone stock turbos a few years back. I have a 12.32 timeslip (1.66 60 foot) and a 12.42 timeslip, but it consistently ran 12.48-12.52 at 7600 lbs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts