Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning on rebuilding the tranz but will most likely not happen until spring. the syncros are getting bad, it is not as bad in the morning when the fluid is cooler. i am going to change the fluid and wanted to know if i should run something different than syn ATF. i live in the north western part of WI, so it will be seeing sub zero temps, what are your recommendations for fluid. and it has just over 500 miles on a new clutch.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Full disclosure, I do not have a hand shaker in my truck.
I shifted my 02 VW golf TDI to Pennzoil synchro (available at Advance Auto Parts) at 200k and have been running it for >20k miles.

My VW Guru told me about it and I bought a couple of bottles and changed over. My shifting has improved dramatically and no gear grinding.
Pennzoil developed the fluid for G.M. manual transmission.

The Chevy and Dodge guys are using it in there hand shakers and love the results. I have not read anything negative about it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i have debated trying the syncromesh that amsoil offers for the GM's. when i worked at napa thats what all the import guys wanted in there ""race cars"".

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just installed a solid flywheel & south bend clutch in my truck last week. I took the opertunity to drain my ZF5 and refill with Amsoil Signature Series ATF, and it seems to shift a lot better than before at 201,000 miles. Next up is the heim joint clutch linkage fix this weekend!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I cant remember who, but someone on this board is running Redline atf and he said it really made a night and day difference with the syncros grinding.

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
My syncros weren't grinding but im running a quart 140 gear oil in mine, it thickens it up to about like syncromesh, some people will tell you only run atf but the chevy zfs are built to run syncromesh and I have never seen anything showing that the materials are different ford and chevys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts