Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best clutch upgrade for these trucks? I figure while the motor is out this summer, it would be the best time to replace. I know the big hitters are South Bend, and Valair.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Best clutch you're going to get without any machine work is the one I'm about to purchase.

dual layer, single disc. ceramic plate and button. 3800lb plate load.

Rated for 1400-tq.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
What is the best clutch upgrade for these trucks? I figure while the motor is out this summer, it would be the best time to replace. I know the big hitters are South Bend, and Valair.
Depends what your goals are with the truck. You can put a clutch rated at 400hp in and hate it, or put in a clutch rated to handle what your engine puts out and love it. Bigger is not better when it comes to clutches

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best clutch you're going to get without any machine work is the one I'm about to purchase.

dual layer, single disc. ceramic plate and button. 3800lb plate load.

Rated for 1400-tq.
What model is this?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats a new term to me. And who back this "custom" clutch?

·
Registered
77 Posts
do you have a dual mass flywheel (factory) or single mass flywheel? instead of getting an expensive clutch disk, id spend a little more and get a Luk single mass flywheel and clutch for ~$500. single mass flywheel is nice. and a Luk disk will hold anything you're gonna be putting to it. I'll have a disk and flywheel available after my cummins swap but it'll be a while before I get around to it.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
do you have a dual mass flywheel (factory) or single mass flywheel? instead of getting an expensive clutch disk, id spend a little more and get a Luk single mass flywheel and clutch for ~$500. single mass flywheel is nice. and a Luk disk will hold anything you're gonna be putting to it. I'll have a disk and flywheel available after my cummins swap but it'll be a while before I get around to it.
:whs:
Valair makes a nice setup
Performance Clutch - Ford PowerStroke

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I have a Luk now, rated for 415/610 and it blows.

Thanks, I'm going to look into those.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a Luk now, rated for 415/610 and it blows.
I think he was referring to the OP, who isn't running a cat turbo or a pump that flows twice the amount of the stock one.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I think he was referring to the OP, who isn't running a cat turbo or a pump that flows twice the amount of the stock one.
3 times the amount of the stock one, currently.

4-times on the new pump...

thank you very much:evil

·
Registered
77 Posts
what he said.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Forgot to mention. The only thing bad about the Valiar clutch, is the pilot bearing. I would try and get a Kevlar one like the SB clutch comes with

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeh I am planning on a significant upgrade on performance this summer when i redo some things, so figured that was a good time to replace it. Also i am pretty suree it has a LUK clutch currently.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It says to use a Valiar flywheel? I already have a SMF, would it work?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
It says to use a Valiar flywheel? I already have a SMF, would it work?
There are two styles of clutches. A LUK and a VALEO. Most use the LUK style, but you have to find out what style your flywheel is

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got a LUK clutch so I am assuming the SMF they sent me is a LUK style. Is that the right one for the Valiar?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts