Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm worried this is going to turn into a "what's the best clutch" thread, but I'm in the market for a CB and want to get a good one the first time since I'll have to trim my overhead console to fit.

Truck is in my sig and I have the overhead console with the sunglass holder and big empty space in the back. I'm not worried about trimming it as I haven't found a model yet that'll fit without it, so the best model is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
--Cameron

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Best model for what? Are you wanting to just listen or talk car to car that is in relatively close proximity or do you want to shoot skip, get out across town, drive a modulator / linear? Do you want sideband, extra channels high & low?

What is your budget?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
:whs:

Subscribing to learn some things.

I have a cobra 29 which I guess is one the of starter "good radios" its kinda like the small block chevy of the radio world, not necessarily the best, but probably the most common, comes with good features and can be modded for better performance.

Also if your planning on putting it in the overhead console I would say its the largest radio that will fit. Its a lot more than just some trimming once you get below the surface, but I think one of the best places for it.

Here is mine,

Also you can look over the rest of the pics of the install here, CB Install pictures by bareorn - Photobucket

·
Registered
623 Posts
Best model for what? Are you wanting to just listen or talk car to car that is in relatively close proximity or do you want to shoot skip, get out across town, drive a modulator / linear? Do you want sideband, extra channels high & low?

What is your budget?
I think it is definitely situatyional. All radios are not the best at everything. One of the biggest things you will be looking at is your antenna and how / where you mount it.

jdc753 - You have a nice install. The best part is, you know how hard it was and it's custom.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What is your budget?
To be honest I don't know what half that stuff means. I'd like to talk across town with my friends and talk to truckers on the highway (I heard CB is the best radar detector you can buy and is 50-state legal!)

What's that other stuff mean?

I'm not even sure what I'd budget. I'm not sure what 'good' units go for. I take back the best comment, maybe I'm just looking for a good unit that works for my purposes and has a little compromise in the areas I don't think I'll use. What I don't want to do is buy an 'entry' unit that I'll end up replacing in a year as I learn the unit I bought doesn't suit me due to the install I want to do. I don't want to cut up a panel to buy a new unit and panel and cut it up again later

·
Kilroy was here
128 Posts

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
I'm gonna be installin a Cobra 29LTD with bluetooth this summer. the bluetooth is cool you can talk on your cell phone through the radio. Havent decided on what antenna to use or where to mount it, but I'm thinkin 102" SS whip mounted on the front corner of the bed, behind the cab. Like said above, the Cobra 29LTD is a good mobile that can be modded and built upon. the key to a good radio is adding power, noise toys, etc, and the antenna that you use. For what it sounds like you're looking for, something basic like that radio is all you need. You might want to think about adding a little power to it and using a taller antenna (4' is a good all-around size). Just my .02

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cobra's aren't bad. I'm running a 29 fixed up by Sparky's CB shack. I'm going to go with a galaxy next time. I'd suggest Sparky's CB for a good place to get one. Their customer service is good, and all their radios come pre tuned, the right way. Radioactive Radios is another good place.

·
P.F.F.
177 Posts
I got a Cobra 29LTD also in my toyota and use it mainly on the trails. Had it for about 10 years. So far I haven't needed anything more, but my use is limited. I'm going to be putting one in my F250 soon and will probably get the same thing but updated model and have it modded.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had looked up a Cobra 29 at sparky's and it sounds like that's what I'm looking for. Plus the dimensions ought to work well with my overhead console.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
To be honest I don't know what half that stuff means. I'd like to talk across town with my friends and talk to truckers on the highway (I heard CB is the best radar detector you can buy and is 50-state legal!)

What's that other stuff mean?

I'm not even sure what I'd budget. I'm not sure what 'good' units go for. I take back the best comment, maybe I'm just looking for a good unit that works for my purposes and has a little compromise in the areas I don't think I'll use. What I don't want to do is buy an 'entry' unit that I'll end up replacing in a year as I learn the unit I bought doesn't suit me due to the install I want to do. I don't want to cut up a panel to buy a new unit and panel and cut it up again later
Can you find out what brand / model CBs your friends are running? That will tell a lot as to what they are doing.

Extra channels are just that. A legal CB has 40 channels, an export or even a legal CB modified can give you channels above and below the legal 40 channels. Your friends may be doing this or they may not.

Shooting skip is using the earths atmosphere at the correct time of day to "shoot" well beyond the normal range of the CB. I have talked from Atlanta, GA to Pheonix AZ on the legal 4 watts on channel 19. This has more to do with your antenae than it does your radio, less you want to do this on extra channels.

A Uniden Pro510XL is a great entry level unit that can be slightly tweaked for better performance and on a Wilson 1000 will perform wonderfully for in the $150 range including the Wilson. The great thing about the Wilson 1000 is you can use it on your next radio and it works great.

If you want more, extra channels, etc I have always been partial to the Galaxy DX33 which can be had for the low $200s and is capable of some great modulation.

You can't go wrong with a Connex or Magnum either but your in the $200 range.

If I was looking for a "good" radio but nothing fancy I would go with the Pro510XL or find me an orginal Cobra 25 or 29 LTD. I'd stay away from the newer ones if you are looking to have it modded with any toys.

As for anteane I love the Wilson series. If you not afraid of drilling the roof of your truck stick a Wilson 1000 hard mount on top. This will use the whole truck as the ground plane and will give great reception and broadcast. The magnetic Wilsons work almost as well.

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
Cobra's aren't bad. I'm running a 29 fixed up by Sparky's CB shack. I'm going to go with a galaxy next time. I'd suggest Sparky's CB for a good place to get one. Their customer service is good, and all their radios come pre tuned, the right way. Radioactive Radios is another good place.
What are good all around antennas? Am I right that the longer the better, as long as it has a good ground plane (with a stock radio)?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
What are good all around antennas? Am I right that the longer the better, as long as it has a good ground plane (with a stock radio)?
Wilson 1000 is one of the best bang for the buck antennas out there. It can generally be had for around $70 and comes either with a mag mount or hard mount. If your not scared to drill the body do a solid mount right in the center of the roof. The will allow the entire truck to be used as a ground plane.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I just picked up a used radio from a member here and I was recomended to either use the Wilson Silver Load or a 102" Whip. I am thinking of going with the 102" Whip either mounted dead center front of the bed, left front corner of the bed or left rear corner of the bed. We'll see how it all shakes out soon.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
whats the difference between a regular mobile cb radio and a 10 meter cb radio
legal issues....the 10 meter is for ham and requires a license...the 10 meter CBs will not have a FCC sticker on them and are what is referred to as "imports". Many people run them and never have a problem, I've run them and only had one problem but that was more of the power I was putting out than the radio itself. I was broadcasting via about 6000 watts.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I talk on 2 radios a Cobra 29 wb an a Galaxy 77 w/250 linear. The 29 is perfect for everyday and will talk 5 miles though traffic 10 miles open, ithas a dead key of 10 watts and 25 watts opened up. The77 has a dead key of 125 and 375 open, that's fortalking over traffic and killing cell phone reseption, and sometimes odering in the drive through. It will talk over 1000 miles on side band and I use Wilson Trucker 2000 twins w/5ft whips.

The best bet is find a good reputable CB shop and let them set you up with a rebuilt unit, you'll get more radio and good advice. CB shop live and die by their customer base.

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
Wilson 1000 is one of the best bang for the buck antennas out there. It can generally be had for around $70 and comes either with a mag mount or hard mount. If your not scared to drill the body do a solid mount right in the center of the roof. The will allow the entire truck to be used as a ground plane.
Yea, I was thinking of going roof-mount, as I already have a antenna up there that the previous owner had put in. It's a tiny little 6 or 8" antenna that unscrews. I'm thinking I can just take that out and use the same hole, so I don't have to worry about drilling anywhere. Though I've always been a fan of those huge whips. I was thinking wilson if i'd do roof...thought I think a 102" whip would be AWESOME on the top, but BAD for overpasses and parking garages LOL. But overall the roof-mount would be much less work for me. Any other antennas you guys recommend that are good all-around setups?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
my experience is to stay away from the cobra 29 unless you want to fight it and replace it every couple years go with a better radio and one that isnt such a problem to find people to work on them galaxy , stryker, ranger all have good radios at decent prices Im runnin a galaxy 959ds modded with 2 60" monkey made antennas. that setup works great i can play with skip but am bold and clear within a 15 mile range at anytime. Theres plenty of ways to go it mostly comes down to personal opinion and the great ol $

1 - 20 of 23 Posts