Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two batteries are cranking over very slow and the truck is starting to have problems firing up. So, before I start to replace glowplugs and the relay, I want to replace both the batteries.

My question, is what is the better battery to replace them with?

I do favor aftermarket dry cell/ gel batteries due to the acid.

Would a yellow top optima battery would good?

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
My two batteries are cranking over very slow and the truck is starting to have problems firing up. So, before I start to replace glowplugs and the relay, I want to replace both the batteries.

My question, is what is the better battery to replace them with?

Would a yellow top optima battery would good?

Thanks
Good old wal-mart and call it a day brother

·
Registered
336 Posts
Diehard pm1 iirc expensive but worth it

·
Registered
156 Posts
My Interstates do a decent job. Be sure to clean them connections too. Do all you can to get that power through the cables.

·
Registered
156 Posts
And I've heard you need batteries that have at least 850 CCA for these beasts.

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
I use interstate mega tron batteries. But also have used naps batteries and don't really see that big of a difference. But the interstate seem last longer & have a 75 month no questions asked warranty thing. So that's why I decided to keep going with them

·
Registered
98 Posts
i love duralast gold but buy the better ones no matter what brand as they use new lead and the lower price ones use recycled lead that is the price difference so i was told

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Sears Die Hard Platinum Group 65 would be your best choice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have had interstate mega trons in my truck since the day the motorcrafts died. My dad has interstates in his 2001 as well. I have had excellent luck with them. I used to work at an optima dealer and we would take the optimas back all day long. They use to be good, but ever since they moved their plant to mexico all has gone down hill. Also I know CaryT well and he uses diehard platinum batteries because he says they are odyssey's with a different label. Cary knows his stuff.

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
old thread, but I have something to add....

I just had to replace my batts today, and chose AutoZone Platinum, (made by Deka...it's a dead ringer for the Deka Intimidator)
roughly $35.00 cheaper than the Sears Platinum, (made by Odyssey)

I'll follow up on how they work out....

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
CORRECTION :

the AutoZone battery is NOT made by Deka, as I stated above, it's made by :

Made in U.S.A. by East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sears Die Hard Platinum Group 65 would be your best choice.
I put them in my F250 a few yrs ago. luv'em! They are made by Odyssey Battery. A bit pricey, but worth it. They have a very good warranty too. 4 yrs full replacement, additional 6 yrs prorated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have two Rayovac's from Batteries Plus and I think they are the best that I have had in the 6 years Ive owned psd. Its 850cca at 0*F 1000ccca or so at 32*. Think they were about $120 a piece. Ive had them little over a year now and still perform like the day I bought them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ive had Interstates for the past three years. No problems starting my truck in Minnesota winters.

·
Nose picker
426 Posts
I go with 850 cca's from ford. Also check your battery cables to make sure they are still good. I though I had weak batteries one time. Turned out the cable was bad and I was getting power from only the passanger side battery.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Mine had new Interstates in it when I bought it, they lasted 4 years, I replaced them with Car Quest 1100 amp ones, they were pricey at he time, but now they,ll be a lot more with lead prices up.

Dan

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
UPDATE :

so far, the new Duralast Platinum batts I put in the truck are great....I always used Motorcraft before, and these batteries spin the engine MUCH faster than the others EVER did ! ....it's almost like I put in a new starter at the same time....huge difference... the autozone batts are only rated at 775 CCA's but they work all out of proportion to their rating...

so far, I'm a happy camper.... two thumbs up...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Diehard platinum,autozone platinum,costco platinum,Walmart maxx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts