Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Port Bogie
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of several repairs and upgrades of my 2002 7.3L and while it is all apart I noticed my up pipes are shot. I see quite a few options, some expensive, some not, some SS, and others cheap steel. Any recommendations from someone that has replaced theirs? I think T304 SS is the way to go, but is it necessary? The bellowed versions seem a better idea than original OEM style. Has anyone tried the BlackHorse Racing set off Amazon, would you recommend it? What about Dorman? Some of the more expensive (xtreme diesel, sinister, riffraff) don't seem to be built any better than BlackHorse or Dorman. What is the best set of up pipes I can put on my 7.3L??? And should I wrap them in heat shield before install?

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,289 Posts
I've put Dorman on a number of 7.3s, they seem to be good actually, of course, not to say no one else has had issues. I know you really cant go wrong with Riffraff though.

Heat wrapping is a fine idea, but I know you don't want to cheap out on the wrap or you'll have fiberglass fibers flying around your engine bay soon.

·
Native Texan
8,987 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
All of the cheap ones are made by the same Chinese company. I literally have a truck load of scrap up pipes. The best fitting up pipes out there are the IH and BD Diesel, but the IH version has rather cheap bellows.

T304 SS is not a good choice for exhaust. I have no idea why people use them, but if you dig up metallurgy specs, it's not that great for thermal cycling or handling high temps.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts