Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new set for my '97 daily driver.
I don't tow much, it's just a driver.
Looking at 265's, what I have now.
I need good snow traction for about 7 months out of the year, the rest is basically highway.
I've thoguht about 2 sets, one for winter, one for summer, but hate having to move an extra set around.
I currently have BFG AT's and they lasted 50k miles. Which isn't bad, but I thought about trying something else. I figure there's probably something just as good but cheaper?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
We have a couple trucks in the company that are using Hankook Dynapro A/T-M tires..they are soft, and work extremely well in snow ( for plowing in out case). A daily driver truck that doesn't tow much seems to be lasting much better than my personal work truck which is a dually that tows heavy quite often, didn't get much over 30,000 miles out of a set. Front tires are still holding in there but the rear duals are shot simply from having the weight behind it and the power put through the tires constantly. I am trying Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S after reading reviews about them, hoping they are a little harder tire

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
IMO stick with the bfgs

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not super impressed with the BFG in the snow.
They were decent when new, but as they wore down they were horrible.

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
I'm not super impressed with the BFG in the snow.
They were decent when new, but as they wore down they were horrible.
I dunno mine was great in the snow even when they was wore out. The last storm we had was 14in around these mountains and I was impressed with them. They took me every where I needed to go. But have you checked out the pro comp xtreme all terrains. I've heard good bout them but never had a set.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I too am a snowhound, and I think the bfg is a horrible snow tire.
I ran the toyo at 2 years ago and think it's a great snow tire with about 30k of wear.
This last set is a kumho at tire, and it's a load D but service rated for more weight than the load e in the same size. I've got 30k on it right now, and easily have another 15k of wear. It's the best snow tire I've ever run.
If your like me, I like to go into winter with a fresh set of tires, I still have 40% tread on these, and I'm debating running them through this season.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2, both mine and wifes. (can get 50-60k on them)

Travis T

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ran the kumho road venture AT 2's on my old f150 for a couple seasons befor I sold the truck and they were great in all season and it seemed like they were gonna last forever. I had them in load range D, I am not sure if the make them in E, but they were a great tire

·
Ford Enthusiast
100 Posts
I've been impressed with the BFG AT's on my Bronco. Second set. And we get some snow in CO.

Also impressed with the Duratracs on my Ranger

Look into Nitto Terra Grapplers. I've heard they are a good AT tire. Also, General AT2's I've heard are comparable to BFG AT's at a cheaper price.

·
Buy Low Sell High
54 Posts
I got the cooper discoverer st on my obs love them. They rip in the snow and are not that loud on the road. Only lasted 22,000 miles tho. But there is not a stright road for 20 miles where i live and they went through a few boosted launches and donuts In the high schoool parking lot every time it rained.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would you consider a mud tire? My BFG KM2s do awesome in packed snow or deep powder. They dont do as well as an all terrain on ice, but they do way better in the mud, snow, sand, wet.

I have 36k miles on mine, and they have about 50% tread

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would you consider a mud tire? My BFG KM2s do awesome in packed snow or deep powder. They dont do as well as an all terrain on ice, but they do way better in the mud, snow, sand, wet.

I have 36k miles on mine, and they have about 50% tread
Off topic...but your from Silverton? I lived there for about 8 years. Graduated from Silverton High school in 2009. Dont recall your truck around there.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My experience has shown that BFG All Terrian's have to be rotated at every oil change.
They are quieter then the BFG MT's.
They don't throw big ass rocks llike the BFG MT's
They are not as good as the BFG MT's in mud. (If that where you drive all the time)

Worn out, they still have better traction on icy roads then a new set of BFG MT's.

I think they have changed the rubber compound in the BFG MT's, as the last set I had didn't last 10K on gravel roads before they were destroyed, where as the set before that lasted way, way, way longer, on the same roads, and never had a flat...ever.

·
Smoothcriminal
249 Posts
Runnin mastercraft at/s here they wear great do good in the snow. Next set will probably be a set of bf at/s. Always wanted to try a set of MTs ATZs, but pricey. Runnin michilin at/s on my 99 dodge their ok but I wont be buyn them for my next set, they came on it when I bought it.

·
Stroker in Training
114 Posts
I've got a few buddies in Alaska that swear by Duratracs. They say that they get about 40k out of a set. A cheaper option I'm considering running is Firestone Destination M/T's from tires-easy.com Not too aggressive of an m/t plus they are a load range E. 10 ply tire

·
Smoothcriminal
249 Posts
Those are very good tires I forgot about those. Couple of my buddies have run those. Very good mileage as long as you rotate regular.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts