Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '00 f-250 with the oh so powerful 5.4 its had a huge hole in the muffler, since I bought it for a plow truck I cut the muffler off and dumped it in front of the rear tire. Ive been thinking about dual exhaust with a single inlet dual outlet muffler, I dont want it real loud but Id like a good low tone. Any ideas what muffler to run?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My old truck was an 02 f250 with a 5.4 I used a 40 series flowmaster 3" inlet with duel 2 1/2" outlets and had a local shop bend up tail pipes. It was quiet when just driving around but when I got into the gas it sounded wicked!

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
getting rid of the cats and adding dual flowmaster 40's sounds wicked. Way better sounding then the ol 5.0's. If you wanna run cats which technically you should get rid of the stockers and get some high flow ones off ebay. They have high flow and ultra high flow cats on there. Had good lucj with the small bullet style ones that look like glass packs.
Here is a vid of what it sounds like. If you do a single in dual out it will make it quieter some. The 3v 5.4's are quit a bit louder. My wifes 05 is way to loud with dual flow 40's and no cats. If you want it quieter keep the cats on. The single in dual out actually seems to have more cab drone over a dual exhaust. I've ran a lot of styles of exhaust on the 5.4 's.

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, Im trying to keep this low budget cause its just a plow truck so i think i will keep the factory cats on. Do you know what the truck in that video is running? muffler and pipe size? I was thinking of 3" tail pipes but im sure 2.5" would be just fine.

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if they sell the 40 series in a dual kit that 45s the tips behind the rear tires? I cant seem to find one online, or would I be better off taking the truck to a shop and having everything installed and custom bent there?

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
If you follow the link to youtube he gives the info there. I think its 2in to 2 1/2. I forgot I put a dual exhaust on my father in laws 99 f250 with a 5.4 We used 2 1/4 on his and dual flow 40's. I just cut the cats off his and ran from there back. When I take it to a shop its usually $200 for the dual exhaust to be run and bent up and installed and then the price of the mufflers. I've never bought a kit off line so not sure if they make one or not with 45 degrees exit. I've got two shops around here that both do the exhaust for $200. with the price of the flows its around $340 with everything plus tax. Tips are usually about $50 a piece if you get stainless and most shops have them. You want to go to a locally owned exhaust shop. if you go to a place like tuffys they will give you a price of $800 for dual exhaust. Why they are so damn high on there prices is beyond me. i would stick with 2 1/4 exhaust to keep the torque band lower. I noticed a difference going from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2. 5.4's don't make a lot of torque down low to begin with so you don't want to make it worse. Whenever you get it done you are gonna have to put up a vid. I never get tired of hearing a good sounding v8 especially with flows.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just remember, if you go with bigger pipes you are going to lose low end torque, which is a valuabe commodity for plowing.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
Taking off the cat on a 5.4 won't set the check engine light?
On the superduty I did exhaust on there were no downstream o2 sensors so no. On the the f150s there is so you need to run spark plug anti foulers on the down stream o2 sensors.

Just remember, if you go with bigger pipes you are going to lose low end torque, which is a valuabe commodity for plowing.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
yep thats why I said I would stay at 2 1/4. i noticed quite a loss in low end torque on my 5.4's with 2 1/2 but an inrease in topend. But the op needs low end for plowing as stated and general truck usage. An H pipe will help even more with low end toprque by equalizing the cylinder exhaust pulses.

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will talk to a few local shops this week and see what I can find out. I dont think I will need an H pipe, the two down pipes meet right before the cat and I dont want to run a true dual system. I will look into 2.25" pipes, I was just thinking 3" because that is the factory size coming out of the cat.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
I will talk to a few local shops this week and see what I can find out. I dont think I will need an H pipe, the two down pipes meet right before the cat and I dont want to run a true dual system. I will look into 2.25" pipes, I was just thinking 3" because that is the factory size coming out of the cat.
Ah ok I must have missed you wanting a single in dual out muffler. That changes everything then. No you don't need a H pipe as the y pipe does that job and yes I would run a 3in from the y pipe into the muffler and then either 2/14 duals out of the muffler or 2 1/2 in exhaust out. You are going to keep your low end by going single in dual out muffler so either size should work fine. You can try the flow 40 series and if you want it a little louder then the flowmaster 10 series you could switch to later.

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know if the flowmaster 40 is available in a single in dual out set up?

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got duals put on the truck today. I went with the Flowmaster original 40 single 3"inlet dual 2.5" outlet. The truck has a nice low tone at idle, very little rap, a good cursing tone, and its nice a quite in the cab!

·
Outcast Customs
117 Posts
Straight pipes from the cat back, awesome sound...

·
Registered
136 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts