Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#2 cyl. Wtf. Not even running it hard at all.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Holy chit yea something doesn't look right in that picture.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What caused that?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What caused that?
Thats what im trying to figure out.

It's been running fine. Till yesterday and it started missing. Right down the street from home. Turned around and went home. Diagnosed it as cyl 2 and pulled valve cover expecting to have to change a injector and herro

·
Registered
324 Posts
Damn. Sounds like it'll get a little interesting. Good luck

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trying to figure out how much elites machine shop took off the heads when it was there.
"a little" isnt a good measurement imo.

Its been running for 15k since the headgaskets were done. Done plenty of hard towing and hard driving with the stock program.
03 truck with a 05 motor
It has h11 studs, black onix headgaskets, powermax, 54v ficm, 190cc hybrids 8 hole, reg return system, fs2500, snow performance w/m, coolant filter, full egr/ cooler delete, 3.5"dp, 5" full, afe, full gauges, etc....

·
Registered
207 Posts
if its been running for 15k since the work i dont think thats it. i have seen (only once) in the 6.0l on a compleatly stock engine a badly worn cam lobe cause valve to piston contact. but i dont know for sure. best of luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I was thinking. Going to pick up some push rods tomorrow a spin it by hand to see what we get.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
I would say that it is either a worn camshaft or a collapsed lifter.

·
mmmm...beer....
418 Posts
if its been running for 15k since the work i dont think thats it. i have seen (only once) in the 6.0l on a compleatly stock engine a badly worn cam lobe cause valve to piston contact. but i dont know for sure. best of luck on your hunt.
I would say that it is either a worn camshaft or a collapsed lifter.
I'm not trying to argue with you guys at all, but I fail to see how a flat cam or collapsed lifter could cause valve to piston contact. If anything, either of those would keep the valve from opening all the way/at all.

I'm wondering if maybe you lost a retainer clip for the lifter plunger. If the plunger was able to come up in it's bore, I could definitley see contact happening.

Do all the rockers look OK?

·
1,549 Posts
Well that makes sense to me. I was thinking more of throwing the timing off maybe but it would make sense if a lifter was collapsed or the camshaft was wore down that the valve just wouldnt open all the way vice staying open too far.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Other than where the push rods come through the headgasket it all looks just fine. The lifters look fine all there. I looked at the cam and it looks ok. The rockers have a few little odd marks on them but still nothing obvious. I ordered a rocker kit and 2 push rods. I think it came out to 50$ at the dealer with my discount.

Just picked up sct tuning software for the truck the same day and didn't even get to use it yet. Once it's back together and seems to work good we shall tow the rigs to the desert and if it's all good the tuning will begin.

Edit: when I worked at international I pulled a cam out of a vt365 that had trashed a few lobes and it never bent pushrods. I think I still have that thing somewhere. It was made into a light stand.

·
bring the chain
1,345 Posts
Trying to figure out how much elites machine shop took off the heads when it was there.
"a little" isnt a good measurement imo.

Its been running for 15k since the headgaskets were done. Done plenty of hard towing and hard driving with the stock program.
03 truck with a 05 motor
It has h11 studs, black onix headgaskets, powermax, 54v ficm, 190cc hybrids 8 hole, reg return system, fs2500, snow performance w/m, coolant filter, full egr/ cooler delete, 3.5"dp, 5" full, afe, full gauges, etc....
thats one of the issues right there. take a couple thousands off the heads,then add those pos gaskets. bo gaskets are 10 thou thinner than oem motorcraft gaskets. do the math....

·
Registered
463 Posts
thats one of the issues right there. take a couple thousands off the heads,then add those pos gaskets. bo gaskets are 10 thou thinner than oem motorcraft gaskets. do the math....
Wouldn't you have seen the damage on more than one pair of pushrods?

·
bring the chain
1,345 Posts
Wouldn't you have seen the damage on more than one pair of pushrods?
lots of reasons it could have been one hole. you would think so. put weak valve springs,and,or high drive pressure in the mix,on a engine that already flirting with piston to valve clearance issues,due to machining and thinner hgs,and lots of carnage can result.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crap. Anyone know the compressed thickness on both oem and the onix?

Are there any other headgasket makers out of curiosity?

·
1,549 Posts
Hypermax makes oring head gaskets that they claim dont need machining to install. Not sure how those would work out. I havent heard of any real success stories with oring headgaskets. However, strokin6L has them and have worked for him. I think beans diesel makes their own gasket as well.

·
bring the chain
1,345 Posts
Crap. Anyone know the compressed thickness on both oem and the onix?

Are there any other headgasket makers out of curiosity?
i have the specs somewhere here that you want. point blank. motorcraft gaskets!!! that should be the only gasket you use.. ill see if i can find the info you want.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The problem is that elite diesel has done the headgaskets last. Only 15k ago.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts