Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody I'm having problems installing rocker arms doing stud install so I turn dowel on balancer to 6 o click put heads on installed valve train and relized there was a gap between the rocker and rocker box the most gap on cyl #2 as I tourqed down rocker the gap closed up but seemed like it was putting to much pressure on push rod and I'm worried when I go to crank it will bend and help would be great thanks !

·
Registered
113 Posts
You're having to over come valve spring pressure. I wouldn't worry about it

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
I read a lot of guys won't crank it first they will turn over by hand just to make sure.
you wouldn't be the first to bend push rods if you don't have it right

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I had something similar happen, but I cranked it using the jumper wire on the passenger side. Made a loud popping noise out the intake, but nothing was binding.
Once I got everything put back together and the cab on, I didnt hear it.
It was very worrying at first.

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
Best practice is to mark and label everything coming off. Then when you re-install your sure everything is back exactly how it came off. As long as your sure you have everything as it should be then bolt it all down and turn it over by hand. As said above you will have some resistance while tightening down rockers to box because you will be compressing some of the springs as you go.

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
when installing the heads, rocker box, valve bridges, push rods, and rockers i like to finger tighten the rocker arm bolts, finger tighten the rocker box bolts that attach it to the head, put the 5 top smaller bolts in the head just enough to be started, then slowly torque down each stud. this way everything is lined up and it's slowly compressing the lifters and valve springs. once i have the first torque sequence completed I'll go back and torque all the things listed above including the rocker box bolts, rocker arm bolts, and then run down the top 5 bolts on the head. then proceed with torquing the studs. then torque the top 5 bolts. once both sides are down i hook up a battery to the cables and use the starter jumper wire to crank the engine over and watch the rockers work to make sure all is well

ive bent a few pushrods by hurriedly torquing things down, then end up having to pull the valve covers back off once its started which isnt fun at all.

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
webb I remember reading to twist the pushrods after you drop them in the motor to make sure you are in the push rod recess of the lifter and not riding the side

you do this or hear of it ?

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
webb I remember reading to twist the pushrods after you drop them in the motor to make sure you are in the push rod recess of the lifter and not riding the side

you do this or hear of it ?
that would be a good idea. but i can usually tell if they're in the recess or not just by looking at how high its sitting up. sometimes when sliding them in you can feel it slip off the side and completely miss the lifter all together. i usually look down inside with a flashlight after they're dropped in just to be safe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts